bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Hey guys, I was doing some maintance on my 87 KDX200. I noticed some up/down play in the tie-rod link (dog bone?), it looks like the ball joints are worn at both ends. I figured I'd by some new ones, but once I saw the OEM cost, I decided to look elsewhere. Unfortunately, they're hard to come by. Has anybody else had luck in finding aftermarket ball joints that will fit, maybe from another Kawi model or manufacturer? And do you need a press to put the new ones in, or do they just slide in. Thanks.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
You might want to take the measurements and e-mail them to an aftermarket manufacturer like All Balls. They might be able to help. A bearing supply warehouse might be able to help you too, although the bearings are still going to be expensive from a place like that.

I had to replace them on my 86 a long time ago and I am certain that I had to press them out and in.

A little play is expected. It is hard to keep out of that old style linkage. More than 1/4 inch of play(at the rear wheel axle) needs replacement.

Last edited:

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Thanks guys. It's probably just about 1/4" of play (maybe a hair less). But I figure I should replace it before it got worse. What would happen to the bikes suspension if it wasn't replaced?

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
bajus22 said:
Thanks guys. It's probably just about 1/4" of play (maybe a hair less). But I figure I should replace it before it got worse. What would happen to the bikes suspension if it wasn't replaced?
It will get progressively worse. I haven't seen total failure happen to the bearing and link, but I suppose that it is possible. I grease those bearings after every ride on my bike. There is play in the bearings right now and has been for some time, but at least on my bike it isn't progressing very fast. But the more play it has, the more severe impacts it will take, so at some point the bearing will fail.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Dirtdame said:
It will get progressively worse. I haven't seen total failure happen to the bearing and link, but I suppose that it is possible. I grease those bearings after every ride on my bike. There is play in the bearings right now and has been for some time, but at least on my bike it isn't progressing very fast. But the more play it has, the more severe impacts it will take, so at some point the bearing will fail.
+1 on that.

I just checked with Kawasaki, and those ball-joints are still available from your dealer. They are outrageously expensive, though!!!

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Yes, they are high! They were not cheap 20 years ago when I had mine replaced.

Good luck on finding one at a bearing supply warehouse. Maybe they have them.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I may have found an affordable source for these parts. Can you give me the OD, ID, and width of the ball joints? I can get a quote if I have these dimensions.

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Thanks, but I haven't taken apart the suspension yet. I didn't want to do that until I was ready to replace them. Maybe somebody else will know what the measurements are.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
With the play you are describing, you are ready to replace the ball-joints. :nod:
Take them apart, measure them, and let me know what the numbers are. I can get you a quote and a source for less expensive bearings. This will help all owners of old KDX200's!! :ride:

Top Bottom