Upclose and personal with the NHRA

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
It's been close to ten years since I've been trackside for an NHRA event. I had allowed myself to forget what I was missing out on... until Friday, May 21st. The smells of Pro Mod nitric and tire smoke, the vibration of every organ and bone in my body as the Funny Cars blast off the line, the deafening sounds of Top Fuel, walking the pits in search of my favorite drivers... the list is never-ending.

My first experience at Route 66 was a time I will never forget. The questionable weather kept the crowds away for most of the day which allowed Rich and me to wander the pits with ease. An unscheduled autograph signing, courtesy of Tony Pedregon, gave me the opportunity to score one kick-ass picture and wish him good-luck for the weekend (like he needs it.) After settling down in seats that could only be rivaled by those in the tower we proceeded to take in hours and hours of great racing that you can't watch on ESPN. I am proud to say that I have officially witnessed my first 'Cacklefest'... old front engine dragsters pulling onto the strip to strut their stuff. What a cool sound to listen to! :aj: Shortly after the second round of Funny Car qualifying started, so did the weather. All of a sudden the air temp dropped and the wind picked up (mind you Route 66 is in tornado territory). Instantly the stands were alive with fans rushing to get out. No one had announced any warnings so we just sat and waited.... and waited... and waited for the winds to die down. Finally the announcer came on to inform us that the remaining Funny Car drivers were heading back to the pits to wait out the dangerous winds at the end of the track. Again we waited and again the announcer comes on tell us 'it might be a good idea to wait in our vehicles'. We took this as a sign that the races were over for the night and decided to take our memories and head home. Just as we were pulling out of our parking spot I heard a car start up on the tree. 5 seconds later that car was at the end of the track which could mean only one thing... the races were back on! Instantly we reparked and hiked back to our seats. When we reached the stands they were announcing that Gary Scelzi had just become the first Funny Car driver to reach 330 mph ever! :yeehaw: It was a shame we had missed the race, however, we were in time to see Tony Pedregon pulling up to the line for what was to be the last qualifying run of the evening. Under the lights, in the cool night air, Rich and I witnessed yet another entry into the history books... Tony Pedregon runs a 331mph quarter mile, stomping Gary Scelzi to second fastest. :worship: Soon after that run the rains moved in and ended our day of fun, but what a day it was! It was great re-uniting with an old 'acquaintance'. :cool:

Last edited:

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport..... Drag racing definitely qualifies as a real sport! 331 mph kicks ass! The first NHRA national I witnessed was in about 1985. Still have an aluminum con rod out of the Miller American Pro Sock car I picked up that weekend hanging in the shop. Good stuff!

nitropimp

Nov 29, 2003
Being on the starting line when two Funny Cars leave is an experience I'll never forget. Worked the NHRA tour for several years. But, being on the line when two Nitro Motorcycles leave is my game. I got to help on the McBride fuel bike some, that was way far out. 1,500 cc supercharged on nitromethane/ 5.87 @ 244 mph.
Glad you got to witness some history, that's an awesome track.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
From Roadsters.com:

"Now I've been to church and I've been to the drags, and brothers and sisters, for those of you who have never heard a Hemi on nitro, get thee to the drag strip when the Fuel cars are running. Get thee a pit pass, and bring thyself to a Fuel car being tuned up. Listen to the overwhelming sound of what must be the closest thing you can hear in this life to The Sound Of God. Reach out, brothers and sisters, and bask in the glory of the almighty Hemi. For I have heard the Hemi testify. And I believe! Yayass, I believe."

I had the good fortune to spend a Sunday at the starting line of the Springnationals. The smell, the burning eyes, the runny nose, the Akron Fallout, the bone shaking feeling of a 7000 HP fuel car launching.....

Nothing else like it on planet earth! :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Our local track is getting a conplete overhaul so no racing this year. Rolling thunder....a feeling you'll never outgrow.:thumb:

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Nothing quite like seeing, hearing and feeling the nitro cars. I might just pick up some tickets for when they come to town.

Steve

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Everybody should hit a National at least once. I made it to the Southern Nationals two years running. The second year was the year that Bob Glidden flipped his car in the lights.

Jeez, was that 16 years ago? :ohmy:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I had the pleasure of standing about 6 ft away for The Snakes (Don Prudhomme) TF/FC in the pits when they were warming it up :aj:
Rick
PS.. Pedregon could of used some luck after all... :laugh:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
rickyd said:
PS.. Pedregon could of used some luck after all... :laugh:

Yes, it would appear that John Force got all of the luck this weekend. :worship:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's only been about 10 days but I'm jonesing for the smell of Nitro and the mind altering sounds already. ;)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
nothing like your eyes water and nose on fire!

I prefer pro-stock though

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Offroadr said:
nothing like your eyes water and nose on fire!

I prefer pro-stock though

Pro Stock was pretty damn cool too. Even Pro Stock bike was great, with the Vance & Hines bikes laying down sick numbers and a handful of independent Harley teams knocking on the door and just missing the qualifying cut. It was gearhead heaven. :yeehaw:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I prefer Pro Stock as well. Those races are usually decided by thousandths of seconds. The whole field is covered by .25 second or less in some cases. Reaction times, shifting, and those craaaazy staging battles..... yeah, I love Pro Stock!

But the thunder of a nitro car is a religious experience.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
gwcrim said:
But the thunder of a nitro car is a religious experience.

Can I get an AMEN :worship:

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
When we ran the national events having all access passes was great. I stand in the water box for fuel. It would blur your vision! I had my wife in the staging lanes for funny car at Dallas a few years ago. she about got knocked over by Skuza's zoomies we were so close. She didnt appreciate the fumes as much as I did LMAO

If you love Pro Stock, attend the Pro Stock superbowl in Houston in March! We tested down there one year. Its low key, no crowds and all the big names are there. You can't get any closer!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Offroadr said:
If you love Pro Stock, attend the Pro Stock superbowl in Houston in March!

Isn't that a no points meet? Usually with incredible weather conditions?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Pro stock.

Rich, you didn't happen to notice what fuel they're using in Pro stock these days? ;)

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
gwcrim said:
Isn't that a no points meet? Usually with incredible weather conditions?

Yes it is, not affiliated with NHRA, The Houston track sponsors it. Its a test session with cash to the 'winner'. Allows the PS teams to test on a national event track with proper prepping.

nitropimp

Nov 29, 2003
We run C-25 in the Pro Stock HD. We just got back from the All Harley Drags in Commerce, GA., came home with the win. Best lap was a 7.56 @ 176. We have the Nat. record for the class, 7.47 @ 179, that is on a 45 degree engine, no 60 degrees allowed in Pro Stock.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
nephron said:
Pro stock.

Rich, you didn't happen to notice what fuel they're using in Pro stock these days? ;)

Looks like Jay beat me too it :) No more fuel fun in Pro Stock. The NHRA sold their soul to VP. ;)

They are serious about the fuel testing and use some pretty trick tests and test chemicals developed by Geoff Germane of Germane Engineering. They even have spot tests for components like 1,4 Dioxane , so it's unlikely there is any fuel cheating going on in the Pro Stock ranks these days.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
the spec fuel rule is good and bad IMO, it keeps the hazardous chemicals out but hurts the R&D of class

WJ was a leader in the fuel R&D and had developed a fuel with VP that he had a retainer to maintain sole rights to the fuel

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
With all the hijinx that used to go on in Pro Stock, I like the fuel rule. It shouldn't be about who has the best chemical engineer. It should be about the car and driver.

But I will admit that the nitrous soap opera was very interesting.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
gwcrim said:
But I will admit that the nitrous soap opera was very interesting.

Eckman, Wayne County or both?

Top Bottom