Upclose and personal with the NHRA

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Personally, I do still prefer watching every day guys race on their own dimes. Super Chevy shows are my favorite, but nothing makes your bones rattle like NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car. Gotta love that feeling.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
dirty~d~ said:
Super Chevy shows are my favorite

Me at Super Chevy Indy :cool:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Offroadr said:
Eckman, Wayne County or both?

Well there was never any real evidence presented against the Wayne County gang. One of Bill Glidden's boys came out and confessed though. And Eckman.... well, he got caught red handed!

Funny thing was the rule book had absolutely no mention of nitrous in the Pro Stock section until the week after the Wayne County break in. :think: Lots of speculation about that whole incident. ;) Sure made for a good soap opera though.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
no kidding on the Wayne county thing, its STILL talked about!!!

The best thing about Billy Glidden is he did it JUST to prove to NHRA that it could be done and not get caught. Once he did it he showed them, after his dad got a little ticked.

Here is a great read on nitrous cheating from Mike Thermos (founder of NOS)

http://www.competitionplus.com/01_15_2004/cheating_101.html

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Nice story in that link.

“This guy was racing sprint cars and when his fellow racers protested him, he obliged the teardown and even removed the hood himself. They never found a thing. The nitrous was in the hood scoop. The electrical conductors were the hood pins.”

The hood pins! :yikes:

As I recall the Glidden situation, it involved rifle drilling the engine mid-plate, accelerometer switches and pressurized frame rails. I also recall hearing about rifle drilled studs that held down the hood scoop.

But in Pro Stock 0.005 is a nice performance gain. Don't have to squeeze the bottle too hard for that.

Personally, I've never used the stuff. Too hard on parts for my limited drag racing budget. But ya gotta appreciate the creative genius behind the hidden Pro Stock stuff.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
gwcrim said:
Too hard on parts for my limited drag racing budget.

I ran it for 2 years on a nearly stock motor (cam, intake, headers and carb)

never hurt a part, just can't be greedy...like my buddy who put a pro fogger on his SBC. Replaced pistons like crazy!

Top Bottom