Urgent help needed! Cannot get stator off 79' YZ250

VenomRS4

Jan 12, 2007
Ok. I am trying to get the stator off a 79' YZ250. I got the nut off and the screws out but it will not come off. How do I get this damn thing off. Do I need a special puller tool or something? I am soposed to go out riding tommorrow but I cant without a spark! Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tony

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
Try spraying a little penetrating oil like PB Blaster, or Liquid Wrench where the stator fits to the cases. It may take a LIGHT tap with a SMALL hammer to help it loosen up.

Rotor

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
WAIT before you F**K it up. There is a special puller needed. It is available thru any motorcycle shop. They are listed in most of the aftermarket bike catalogs.

Here's one listed here.
http://shopdirtshop.com/productdetail.htm?productId=2732896&shopBy=2378&catalogId=241

FITS MODEL: For 2- and 4-stroke models with large flywheels; most early-model off-road and motocross 2-stroke use this puller: IT200, YZ250, YZ400, IT/YZ490, TT/XT500 and 4-cycle YZ400 and YZ426 models
Part#: SS-1XX $11.95

OriginalDirt

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
originaldirt said:
WAIT before you F**K it up. There is a special puller needed. It is available thru any motorcycle shop. They are listed in most of the aftermarket bike catalogs.OriginalDirt

i think hes trying to get the stator off......... not the flywheel.

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
I have been servicing dirt bikes for over 30 years and would not even think of using a universal puller to remove that flywheel. I have had so many in the shop that have been backyard wrecked with a universal puller that it isn't even funny. On a vintage bike it is more of a problem since the replacement parts may no longer be readily available.

You can spend $12.00 on the right tool or chance wrecking a non replaceable item. It's up to the mechanic and owner.

"That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it !"
OriginalDirt

Jan 3, 2007
originaldirt, if parts for that bike are hard to come by your not looking hard at all. I am saying the 79 IT250 i had i always used a universial puller. I am not saying your wrong but why not use one if it works. I am only 15 but work on bikes quite a bit and understand that you have been oing it much longer but as long as you take your time the uni puller would work.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
originaldirt said:
I have been servicing dirt bikes for over 30 years and would not even think of using a universal puller to remove that flywheel.

I'm glad SOMEONE finally said it. :cool:

Only a FOOL (or a 14 year old) would attempt to pull a flywheel with a universal puller especially on a vintage bike. The correct puller can be found at most dealers. Unless it's an oddball flywheel you should be able to find one for under $10.

Jan 3, 2007
Rich Rohrich, 1st off i am 15, and second if you think a 79 is a vintage bike then your wrong (for the most part). A vintage bike is anything older then a 1974. 3rd is that the flywheel will come off with a uni puller as long as you are careful and slow going, and know what you are doing.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2 strokes for life said:
if you think a 79 is a vintage bike then your wrong (for the most part). A vintage bike is anything older then a 1974.

Just when I think this couldn't get any more stupid you keep on typing and prove me wrong. :rotfl:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
2 strokes for life said:
Rich Rohrich, i am just saying its 1974 for the most part. Some might say 1976 but even thats still pushing it.

That's great you know what the racing organizations use to designate vintage.

But this is DRN, and the title to this section specifies 'old' bikes, not a specific year. A dirt bike from 1979 is old.

Did you completely miss the point that the correct tool is only $10 and you risk ruining a rare part by using some other tool?

Oh, that's right, you know what you are doing, so it's OK :rotfl:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
2 strokes for life said:
Rich Rohrich, the flywheel will come off with a uni puller as long as you are careful and slow going, and know what you are doing.

Excuse me while I laugh my azz off. :coocoo: ;) :laugh: :rotfl: :rotfl:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Well 2 strokes, maybe you could teach Rich how to properly service a bike with the incorrect tool. I'm impressed that at 15 you know more than people with 30 years experience, you must be genious :bang:

Jan 3, 2007
dirt bike dave, i see that it is $10 but if you have a uni puller why not use it. Also, that flywheel is not a rare part but none the less it could cost more then its worth.

Ol'89r, originaldirt, laugh it up. I am alright to see you all have your vewis on this wich in titles me to have mine. So, it might not be the right way but it has always worked for me. From your past experience I would say you have seen or have broken a flywheel from using a uni puller instead of a factory made one. So, from this i will use the correct puller befor i have too do it the hard way. Thanks for changing my outlook on this subject.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Just my personal opinion, and take it for what it's worth.. I will take the opinion of Rich, Ol'89r, and all the other "old timers" on here well before I do the opinion of a 15 year old kid.

If I am not mistaken, Did you not work on 1979 model bikes when the were factory new Rich?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
IndyYZ85 said:
If I am not mistaken, Did you not work on 1979 model bikes when the were factory new Rich?

Fraid so. :whoa:

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
2 strokes for life said:
dirt bike dave, i see that it is $10 but if you have a uni puller why not use it. Also, that flywheel is not a rare part but none the less it could cost more then its worth.

Ol'89r, originaldirt, laugh it up. I am alright to see you all have your vewis on this wich in titles me to have mine. So, it might not be the right way but it has always worked for me. From your past experience I would say you have seen or have broken a flywheel from using a uni puller instead of a factory made one. So, from this i will use the correct puller befor i have too do it the hard way. Thanks for changing my outlook on this subject.

What mostly happens is a broken crankshaft end, wrecked magnets in the flywheel, and even out of round flywheels. The correct puller relieves the taper interference between the flywheel and the crank end from the middle of the flywheel. The uni-pullers hope that the taper interference is not greater than the force put on the pushed and pulled parts, and that just "ain't necessarily so". BTW a new or used flywheel on used stator only works "most of the time", not all of the time. So, wrecking one that works in the chance that you could find a new or used replacement is pure folly!

Glad to see you have come around to realize the value of this forum. It's the experience and information that you could never gain outside of the collective memory of the forum members. We're not trying to sell you anything, just trying to point you in the right direction.

We weren't exactly laughing at you, just your 15yr old bravado and that was tres` jolie (Very funny)!

I remember when '79's were new and now I consider them old stuff too.

Dang I remember when I had a '66 Riverside 125 and a 67 Bultaco Matador in my stable and they were basically new.
OriginalDirt

Jan 3, 2007
originaldirt, alright. Looks like i should go buy the puller. Sorry for trying to overmind you and others. Well i am finding 79 to be old when looking for some parts but none the less the problems i have with this one i would probably have the same problems with a bike of the same princable.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nobody even mentioned the danger in using the jaw puller to the mechanic.Angle cut on jaws,right curved angle on rotor,a lot of pressure on the crank end,and pow,crap starts flying at a very high velocity!The proper tool is sooooooo much easier!Common sense 1,jury rigging 0.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
All good discusion, but I think the original question was asking how to pull the STATOR, not the flywheel.

I stand by my original statement... penetrating oil, and maybe a light tap with a small hammer. Don't hit the coils, though!

Rotor

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Not good discussion,reality.Not jury rigged mechanics,the proper way.Rotor,flywheel or STATOR,use the proper tool!Please do not tell me you are 15 also

I WISH I was 15 again! :laugh:

The STATOR, as I was taught in the dark ages when we carved our knobbies out of stone, is the non-moving part of the magneto, or the pick-up coils. The rotor, or flywheel, be it button mag, or big flywheel, definitely should be removed with the proper tool, ie a flywheel puller. I don't believe I have ever seen a stator puller tool, but I haven't seen every special tool that is out there.

Rotor

Top Bottom