Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I am in the process of installing a new sprocket and drive chain. I don't have one of those clamp chain breakers. I need to cut the chain to the right size but dont have the right tools. How do I cut my chain? I am going riding tomorrow!
Any feedback will be greatly welcomed! :aj:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I've used a dye grinder and a small center punh.. Gently grind off the mushroomed end of the pin then gently tap it out w/the punch.. Take your time and be careful..
Rick

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I used a hand file to do this once. I was just a kid and faced not being able to ride if I did not find a way. I hand filed off the pins, then pried the link apart with a screwdriver.

My arm was so sore the next day I could barely ride!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I use a 6" bench grinder and a punch.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Thanks guys! But it turns out my dumb sister screwed up the ride anyway so I couldn't go.
Gotta hate it when that happens!

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by Red Rider 53
Thanks guys! But it turns out my dumb sister screwed up the ride anyway so I couldn't go.
Gotta hate it when that happens!

oh yea thats gotta suck..

hey dude, I gotta quick question for ya. your using a fmf Q muffler on your cr 80, correct? how is that working for you? i ride down at a lot of construction sites and farms, and the workers dont mind, and the neighbors are pretty cool about the bikes, but when i get my new kx 100, its gonna get a little loud.. so how does the Q come in here when it comes to quieting the bike a bit? does it quiet it down a significant amount, or is it so little to where it really isnt worth going for the Q pipe. and hows the power after putting it on as well? (thanks in advance)

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
If your in California its a must because it meets the noise and forest service regulations. It does quiet the bike down a bit, but not too significantly. The power output is okay. For a CR80 it probably has a bit less power than stock. The only reason I purchased it is because I'm in California and the only silencer that works in California so far is the Q.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by Red Rider 53
If your in California its a must because it meets the noise and forest service regulations. It does quiet the bike down a bit, but not too significantly. The power output is okay. For a CR80 it probably has a bit less power than stock. The only reason I purchased it is because I'm in California and the only silencer that works in California so far is the Q.

wow, do you think that for a KX100 the Q would take away from its power? Im not aware of any regulations around here, but I am riding about a quarter of a mile away from a neighbor hood in a construction site, so I will be looking to quiet the bike up quite a bit so they don't get annoyed by the noise and call the cops. is the pipe really worth buying?

thanks for the info tho!

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I am not very familiar with the KX's noise output. It does quiet the bike down, but only to about 96 decibles. It wont take away too much from power, just enough to where it is noticable.

Top Bottom