used bike questions??????????????????????

FOXracer

Mar 27, 2000
My question is about buying a used bike. I recently sold my KX125 and am looking at a "new to me" used bike in the spring.All the money from the sale, I gave to my parents to pay them back for buying the KX. I've worked all summer and hold a steady job during the winter, so ive got money coming in all year. I currently have 4000 dollars (canadian) saved in the bank, so im guesssing ill have around 5000 or so in the spring. I'm wondering if its better to buy a newer 125cc for 5000, or an older 250 for the same price. Ive ridden both sizes, and raced for two years, so experience is not a problem. Any imput would be appreciated

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
First thing is I'd like to congratulate you on paying your parents back. Good Job!:D Second, I would think that you could pick up a nice one year old 250 in the spring for the amount of money that you mentioned. Depending on your weather up there, the bike may have even been put up for most of the winter. To me, a one year old bike that was rode probably 8 or 9 months would be a really nice bike to have. Good Luck!

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
O man that reminds me...I still owe my parents.:( Well a newer bike is sometimes better(easier to get parts and so on).On about either a 125 or 250.You say you have rode both so just pick the one you had most fun on.:cool:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
A 250 will be eaiser to go fast on, and will tire you out less. But for $4500 you should be able to find a NEW (never been sold) 2001 125 if you look around.

Oops, sorry, I forgot the money conversion. That would be $4500 US, not sure what that would be in Canadian, ien, Ay?

Last edited:

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Buying now (or after Christmass) in the off season, should get you a much better deal, specially if you like to dicker. Also you won't be in such a hurry and feel a need to buy the first bike you like. Don't be afraid to make a low, low offer, and let them know you "got the cash". Then as more money comes in you can buy stuff for it and it will be ready when the snow's gone:confused:

As far as 125 or 250 - I bet you already know that answer and just want someone to convince you.

I've always had good luck with used-actually the two new bikes I've had were the worst ones!

FOXracer

Mar 27, 2000
thank you very much for the replies.
4500 dollars canadian is, i believe, around 3500 dollars US, but I may be wrong
The main dilemma I guess I have is the year of the bike. For example, for 4000 dollars canadian I can buy roughly a 1999 or even some 2000 125cc, but in 250's, i can only buy roughly a 97, maybe 98. I guess its because 250's keep there value longer

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
A Husky 250, 1999 shouldn't be much more than a 125. Huskies are great bikes and very dependable, but not real popular so have a much lower used value. Also check bank, repo auctions. I got my 99 CR125 this last summer for $1500 at a bank auction. I wouldn't go any higher because there was no way to start it or do a close inspection and I wanted to make sure I got a good deal even if it needed work. fortunatly I got lucky and it didn't need anything but new oil and gas.

Top Bottom