Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Anyone have any experience using an Ultra Wide like the Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22 on a 1.3 crop body?

I've wanted one of these lenses to play with for a long time and a good deal on a used Sigma just fell into my lap. Worst case scenario if it's not good on the 1.3 of my MKII I can always use it on my 20D backup body.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Or you can sent it to me so I can try it on my 5D :laugh:

I'm not sure but I think it's ok on the 1.3. I's just the ff where you start to get vignetting. I have the Canon 17-40 (which I think is UWA) and have never had any problems with it on my MkII or 5D, but there is a bit of softness at the corners, but for most of what I shoot, it doesn't really matter.

Pick it up and give it a whirl. Worst case is you put it up for sale. To tell you the truth it's one lens I have always wanted to try.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Found some stuff online that shows vignetting at 10mm and is fine shooting from 13mm-20mm all with a MKII. I was led to believe these don't work at all on a FF camera like the EF-S line up?

Because of you I came very close and still may pull the trigger on a used 5D. The same wedding shooter I bought my 24-70 from is itching for the 5D MKII and I can likely get it for a steal since he's ready to take a beating to trade it in at this point. The only reason I haven't yet is my 09 KX450F and the fact I plan to shoot less and ride more in 09.

Last edited:

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
As long as you don't shoot machine gun style, I think you would love the 5D. The focus is not as fast, but I think it's more accurate. I have no idea what the jpg's are like straight from the camera because all I have done is shoot raw since the day I got it. I also really like the 40D but not for moving objects the focus does not seem to track as good, but in one shot it works wonders. I would say image quality is very close to 5D and the 1.6 crop is nice to have as well.

Ya you could be correct about the 10-20 and 5d, but I don't know for sure.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Meh, looking like a moot point apparently the fact we agreed on the price and I was to pick it up straight from work at 6pm based on the images she provided was less attractive than a guy who wanted to look at it at 5pm and decide after he played with the lens. She told me she'd let me know if it didn't sell at 5, I told her not to bother.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom