skipa

Dec 24, 2007
Thinking of buying a yzf250 but know nothing about engine.If i ride 1 weekend a month how often do i need to service engine/valves.I heard the valves loosen and need adjustment every other ride.is that true?Is it hard to do :coocoo: :yikes:

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
General rule of thumb is check/adjust every 10 hours.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Depends on who is doing the checking.

If you have limited mechanical ability, it's going to take longer than it will for someone with experience working on engines.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
I have an 05 yz250f. I check the valves every 20hrs or so. I am a total novice mechanic and it takes me approx. 1 hour start to finish to check them. The bike has around 60 hours on it and the valves are just now getting on the tight side but still in spec. I change oil frequently and am rarely on the rev limiter. C class Vet rider...mostly practice for fun and a couple of races per year. If you are only riding once a month and you are up North (not riding indoors) I don't see you having to check the valves more than 2X per season.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Pull off your seat, tank, spark plug cap and valve cover. If your working in a clean organized spot that shouldn't take more then 10 minutes.

Set top dead center and stick a feeler gauge in to measure. If you need .006-.009 then just make sure a .005 will fit and a .010 wont. If your clearances are good then put it back together. If your out of spec then get ready for some fun...

Top Bottom