MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Last ride, the throttle on my 98 KX250 stuck wide open. It did so on the face of the largest table top on the track. I looped the bike out in mid air and landed seperate from the bike on the down hill slope of the table landing. Miraculously, I walked away from the crash only bruised and scrapped.

I disassembled the carberator to find some dirt in the bowl and one of the vent tubes completely clogged with dirt. Presumably, the vent tubes routed dirt into the carb. I had just installed new vent tubes and must have routed them incorrectly. The routing seems pretty simple to me but this is all I can think of as a causing factor.

With all this said, I want to install one of those vent canisters so as to absolutely eliminate this exact scenario from occuring again. Is there any reason not to install one? Are there any performance disadvantages? I like the concept but have to wonder why the manufacturer's don't install.

I've had many hair raising crashes over the years with quite a few injuries; but none of these have even slightly detered me from riding. But this stuck throttle rattled me man. It happened so quick I couldn't do anything but hang on. I'm very fortunate/lucky to walk away from this one. At the moment it happened I seriously considered giving up the sport. I've now come to my senses, I think, and am looking for solutions.

Thanks in advance.

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
I feel your pain man....Ditto here on the stuck throttle. We were trail riding and I jabbed the throttle to manipulate an obstacle...next thing I know is that I'm headed full on toward a small ditch. I managed to get the clutch in just in time for the front wheel to drop into the ditch and send me over the bars.

Sorry, but I'm just sympathizing...I don't have any usefull info on the vent kit except that I've seen a PC racing one and they look simple. Infact I bet you could make your own by going to the orthodotist and asking for a retainer case. This, along with some vent hose, a piece of foam and something to use for a hose nipple (Home Depot has to have something) you could probably make your own for about $5.

Hope you feel better soon.

-Andrew

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
there is only one performance problem I can think of and that would be it can make jetting a pain. Just another thing to take off ,manipulate ..... while moving the carb around

Top Bottom