Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
Hello All I am new to this board. I bought a KDX 200 new in 2002 and just love this bike. I rode it stock untouched other than maintenance and jetting for my altitude for the last few years. I recently decided to try a few upgrades first things first was to take the air box lid off, and add some reeds, and a new 12 tooth front sprocket. After some jetting this bike runs so much harder than it did stock I have plenty of power for trails and open roads. I raced my cousins YZ 250 and smoked him badly plus I have so much low end grunt for those 9000+ mountains. I have also made this bike street legal so I can take it pretty much anywhere. But my favorite part about this bike is the handling I have yet to have ridden a bike that handles this well. I found this board and enjoy reading posts and finding information on my bike.

Anyone on this board from Colorado?

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Hey Jason,

I'm in Colorado and getting back in to riding after about a 12 year lay-off. I just got a 220r and am still sorting out the jetting. I've been riding between 8500-11,000' and my bike is stock. I really like the low end grunt of this bike compared to my old one ('82 KDX 175). I like the tight trails the most, staying in 3rd gear or lower, so I'm considering an FMF gnarly torque pipe and some boyesen reeds. The reeds made a noticable difference on some other bikes I had. When you took your airbox lid off, how did you move your CDI unit? I tried to use the extra tapped hole in the frame by what I think is the regulator, but didn't have enough slack. If need be, I'll splice the wires, but I'm pretty lazy.

Enjoy that bike!
Mike.

Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
yeah im sure your kdx is fast but unless that yz wasnt jetted right, needed a new top along with other things i think you will get you ass handed to you. O btw i have a 1999 250sx that needs a new top end and it still beats my kdx at least it did badly before i had the 12 tooth and the air box lid removed....

yortz

May 16, 2004
I ran into the same problem on my 220. I ended up taking a hacksaw blade and basically cutting 60% of the box out, and leaving the end with the tapped hole intact. Seems to get enough airflow.

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
Colo Mike, I just drilled a small hole on the front upper part of the air box and bolted the CDI there, as far as beeting the YZ 250 its a 91 with a fresh piston FMF and Reeds, I was shocked that I beet it also but he has 50 LBS on me and only 5 gears I think he may have ran out of gear. But I still smoked him.

Top Bottom