OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
First thing to check is your clutch basket. Where the tabs on the plates strike the basket wears into ridges, causing jerky starts. Kawi's were known for this (all that HP). If the ridges aren't deep, you can file them smooth, but they will return, sooner this time. Long term fix is a new basket . I just put a Performance engineering basket in my '00, but Hinson is the best known brand. It's some work, but the only long-term fix.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
It is quite normal that the engagement is harsh when the bike is cold. The reason is the cold oil is too thick to circulate freely between the clutch plates and makes some restriction. As soon as the engine reaches the operating temp you will be all right. If you use 5w30 you would be fine with cold engine performance but might suffer with notchy shifting when the bike is hot. It is a compromise. I use 20w50 because I get perfect shifting action even on a toasty hot engine. The drawback is the clutch drags when cold. I only have to warm the bike good before the race starts but I can live with that.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom