phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
99 kx 125, the clutch seems to drag when dissenguagedd, and chatter horribly when feathering or takeing off, it's basically either on or off, the water pump shaft seals leaked coolent into the gearbox, so could contaminated discs be a problem? also, I pulled the clutch apart, the baskets fingers are notched, I filed them smooth, hopefully that will resolve the dragging, I know I really need to buy a new basket, but I figure this patch will do for awhile, will the notches in the basket make chatter? I sanded the glaze off the discs with 360 grit on some glass, then soaked them in trans oil. any thoughts?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
you did the above and it still drags?

when you say drag what do you mean - taking a couple revolutions to engage?

did you measure the plates to be sure they are in spec? and the springs?

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
The bike is all torn down for a top end right now, I did all this while awaiting for parts. Drags: meaning while the clutch lever is pulled in the clutch remains slightly enguaged, (unless I crack the throttle, with the lever pulled in)

Still, I guess the main point of my question, has anyone filed clutch basket fingers to resolve any of my problems and has it worked.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
ok cool thanks for gettin back to me. did you file the fingers to resolve the clutch not dissengaging or to stop chatter problems........

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
I did it b/c of poor disengagement ( the plates cannot separate cleanly b/c the fingers are wedged by the grooves in the basket).

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
Right on, thanks for the imput. once I get the bike back together (cylinder comes back at the end of the month) I'll update on how the fileing worked

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Once you get it back together, try using TypeF ATF and see if it doesn't feel a whole lot better to you.
When it warms back up, you may find that the oil you are using now may not surge. I'm betting on a viscocity issue...once you have your basket cleaned up.
I'd load it up with new plates while it's down. Springs would be nice too, along with a new basket.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom