Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I had a nice report all typed up and the electricity went off, I hate it when that happens!

Had planned on Cooperland this weekend but with all the birthday festivities and a 4-day weekend I used the time to do frivolous things around the house.

I guess I don't need to mention all the rain we've had here over the past week but it turns out Village Creek was running Sat night and it was the closest for me. This would be my 2nd time to attempt a night flight, the last I got the hole shot but with no practice and never riding the track compiled with scratched goggle lenses I didn't do to well. Didn't even do the 2nd moto.

Well last night was different. I got there in plenty of time and everything was working just fine. After some suspension changes and a 2nd practice I was ready to go. They announced the race order & I was race 14 out of 16 races.

After a long time to cool down (needed it cause the heat index was about 110) I was called to staging. I picked the starting gate just to the left of the dog house because it was the straightest to the first turn and there was a 1' uphill just past every gate so I didn't want to be too close to the guys next to me. The gate dropped and my gawd the guy on the other side of the dog house bolts right over and hits my bars sending me to the ground. After a quick body check I get up and look for my bike. It was about 15' away and still running. I managed to pick it up and keep it running but by this time I was almost 3/4 lap behind. I ran a good race but never made much ground, these guys are fast.

A couple of hours pass and it's staging for moto 2, I'll pick a gate far away from the dude that can't get a straight start. I didn't get a great start 2nd moto but it's okay I guess, I didn't soil sample. It's the 2nd turn where I lost a couple of spots. I rode a good race and never even bobbled, I was doing most of the jumps except the 70' triple and one of the doubles in the rhythm section but I just couldn't catch up to the guys in front. I didn't fall any further back but just couldn't make any time on them.

In all I'd say I had a good time and I like riding different tracks but these are the fastest beginner's I've ever raced with. Either they are prodigies, practice there all the time or they are not beginners by my definition of what a beginner is. The guys pitted next to me I've raced with at Mosier and they said they would never come back because of the skill level of the "beginners" at Village Creek. I'd have to say that the beginners at Village Creek aren't any slower than the novice, intermediate riders there or anywhere else for that matter. I would even go so far as to say I would have stood a better chance in an upper class there but they all were very good.

I'll be headed to Mosier next week! :aj:

Oh, I forgot. I got an 8th overall

Last edited:

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Yeah, I used to race out there every weekend. I raced the over 30 b class and usually did OK. I did notice that the novice riders would be as fast as the intermediates which scared people from moving out of the beginner class. There was one guy who raised heck with me for practicing in the A&b practice as I was too slow for him. But he went out and raced in the novice class. I will say terry Cordray did a lot for Dallas TX. motocross.

Top Bottom