Visiting Albuquerque with dirtbike-I want to ride!

McGyver

Feb 5, 2004

Greetings,

I will be in Albuquerque NM for 5 weeks starting the 20th of September 2004. I will be bringing my KX500 and want to meet some local people that can show me around the area. I am in the Airforce and will be at Kirtland AFB.

Is there anybody that wants to get together and show me around the area?

Are there any local clubs or organized rides in the area?

Are there any good areas to ride nearby?

My bike is set up for both Woods and Desert, so I am able to ride in various conditions. I am an advanced rider with many years of experience. I can provide my cellular phone number when I am in the area, or you can just respond here. Thank you for any response from you all in New Mexico! I always enjoy visiting there when I can.

Respectfully,

Pete "McGyver"

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Pete, There are a few of us here in Abq., Me, Vintagedirt, and BEEF706 are the ones I know of. Feel free to e-mail me when you get here and we'll hook up and go kick up some dust. There are plenty of places to ride within 45min. of Kirtland. There's two or three MX tracks close, all the desert you could ever want, and some trails in the Manzano mountains south-east of Abq. Then of course there's the local wack-job who built himself a couple freestyle ramps. Just let me know when you are ready and we'll go tear it up! Matt "YZ165" Yancey. mryance[at]hotmail.com

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I'm in if you promise not to leave me in the dez (especially that OSHA violation arroyo with the drop-off).

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Damn VD, you weren't suposed to tell him that!

McGyver

Feb 5, 2004
Matt (YZ165),

Thanks for the reply! I'll get with you when I arrive in a few weeks. I'll be driving down and really wanted to put the KX in the truck or on the trailer. I'll add you to my address book for when I get there and I'll email you my cellphone number. Looks like VintageDirt is in too! I usually like to ride with 3-4 other guys, that makes it fun and there is usually plenty of tools and parts for breakdowns... Don't worry, I won't leave you guys in the dez, I need your directional ability to get me home! I do have the 4 gallon tank on the "Big Green" so you'd better bring plenty of petrol along.

My jetting is set for 4500-5500 feet and runs great with either avgas or superunl. Is that about where you guys are at up there?

(Now I can justify with the wife why I need to take the bike)

Pete "McGyver"

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Sounds good, your jetting should be good. Talk to you soon. Don't let VD scare you, he showed me that trail!!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
VintageDirt said:
I'm in if you promise not to leave me in the dez (especially that OSHA violation arroyo with the drop-off).

So you KNEW that was there eh? :think:
And you didnt warn us ahead of time eh? :think:
aahhhhh ha!!
Just wait till you come up to Farmington!
I gots this nice little path in mind that you just gotta try......... :p :p :p
hee hee hee!!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
OnAnySunday said:
So you KNEW that was there eh? :think:
And you didnt warn us ahead of time eh? :think:
aahhhhh ha!!
Just wait till you come up to Farmington!
I gots this nice little path in mind that you just gotta try......... :p
hee hee hee!!

:laugh:

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
I am not advanced. I'm new.

But I am going to "snowbird" all this winter in Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. I am going to stay until I see all the desert wildflowers I can in the Spring.

I am bringing my bike, inside, and my small kayak, on top of, my GMC van. I want to hike and camp, drive scenic drives and camp, float some rivers and camp, and ride on some legal Forest Service roads, and trails, and if possible camp.

I don't know what the weather is like, in what places.

I don't have unlimited funds.

I need to know what the law is about an unlicensed dirt bike. In Montana, I am not required to register, license, or insure a dirt bike. I need to know where I can ride, legally, if I have to purchase any permits, and if there are maps, or GPS trails, and camping.

I don't want my bike impounded.

I am interested in the Farmington area, unless too snowy. I am interested in the ABQ area, and I am open to ideas.

I am specially interested in scenic places. I also like to do photography.

I am a girl, but I am not a "chickie": I am in my 50's. I am actually going to the american southwest, this winter, for my health. I have some "systemic" lung congestion problem, I am going to find out if the southwestern desert will help.

Actually, I always wanted to be a "snowbird" and I never did it. Now, I say, I'm doing it!

One forum person elsewhere said I can't leave my van overnight at the trailheads. That would limit me to rides "out and back", if that is true.

Is it in violation of the law, if I sleep in my van? I would need to know about that.

Please clue me in ..on all this stuff.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
There are plenty of places you can ride, take pics, and camp around Abq.. Farmington also has many riding and camping area's, but you will have to get in touch with OnAnySunday for details on that neck of the woods. I'm in Abq. and ride in the general area every week. There are riding area's that vary in the degree of difficulty from easy to imposible. If fire roads are your main interest, there's the Jamez Mountians just to the north west of Abq., and the Monzano mountains just to the east of us. Both offer great trails and roads for exploring. Don't worry about getting your bike impounded, they haven't taken mine yet! It's not registered, insured, or titled. As long as you have the MSO, you'll be fine in this state. As far as I know, sleeping in your van is fine. Most of the places I ride are at, or near camping area's, so the whole leaving your van at the trailhead overnight thing is not an issue. As far as specific places to go,....you'll have to give me a little better idea as to your arival date. Most of the mountains are full of snow from around Dec., to the end of Feb.. Any time other than that would be good for you and your bike. Feel free to ask any more spacific questions in a pm if you would like. I'll keep my eye open for this thread. YZ165

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
MSO ???

I should get started not later than Oct 5-15.

I thought I would spend my "14 days" in Utah, first at Canyonlands and Arches, then, at the Paiute Trail system, near Marysvale, Utah. I wanted to float the Green River, 8 days. But the "14 day" limit will not allow time for that. Then, I should either go on to Arizona or New Mexico.

It sounds like I should avoid snow, by arriving next in the Abq area. I understand it is possible to float the one river near there, a day or two, anyway. Then, I could ride and camp, and when it's finally snow for sure, I could visit the city and see the art and photography in the old town section of Abq, then I suppose I should take a scenic drive on the map, working my way south, and then, ride more and camp, or go on over to Arizona to ride in the Prescott, AZ area trails and winter camp up on the Grand Canyon, if possible.

Then, at the onset of spring, in the desert, try to get to the places, by riding or by hiking, in to where I can see all the desert flowers I can see. I would think desert flowers would appear "in succession" either by altitude or by micro-climates, or both.

I have only been in the desert southwest one time, and I liked it.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Howdy from Farmington!
and welcome to DRN!
About Farmington.....i gots some good news, and i gots some bad news....
Bad news is that the area known as "Glade Run" just north of Farmington (see BLM web site)
http://www.nm.blm.gov/ffo/ffo_home.html
http://www.recreation.gov/detail.cfm?ID=1807
http://www.recreation.gov/detail.cfm?ID=2127
http://www.recreation.gov/detail.cfm?ID=1845
http://www.recreation.gov/detail.cfm?ID=1833

now requires that all motorized offroad vehicles have registration tags and that they be attached to the vehicle.
:think: :( :bang:
Mine has a tag, but i keep it in my mesh backpack.
I included the "Dunes" and "head canyon" in the links, but not sure about the tag deal there.

Good news is that the Aztec motocross track, and surrounding areas do not require a tag. (yet)
Aztec is about 7 miles north east of Farmington.
http://www.funcentercycles.com/hdrc/aztec.html

but........desert flowers???
dont think ive noticed too many of those here! LOL
but then im usually flying by at a mind numbing 15 mph, and dont notice! hee hee!!!

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
MSO???

There is a motorcycle club, in Great Falls, MT 350 miles away from here, because I have not mastered travelling only one-way. Everytime I go somewhere, I have to make a round-trip.

Anyway, I understand the motorcycle club has courses, for the "motorcycle endorsement" on the driver's license. However, that is not a requirment in Montana for a dirt bike.

The Great Falls motorcycle club also has a "dirt bike course".

Is that what you mean by a "MSO"?

Is an MSO what California calls a MFS? That is a rider safety course, mandatory in California, at least I think so.

Does New Mexico require a "motorcycle endorsement" on a visitor's driver's license?!

Does New Mexico require a "safety course" certificate for dirt bike riders, visiting from out of state?

Does New Mexico require a ORV-sticker?

Is the BLM requiring the ORV-sticker "registration tags"? Are the "registration tags" some other tags?

Is there anyplace I can ride my motorcycle for the dirt, unlicensed and no ORV-sticker?

We can do that here, on public land, on designated Forest Service dirt roads and trails, and on the reservation if you purchase an all-purpose "conservation permit" for the reservation.

I need to know this stuff, before I leave here.

Last edited:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
An MSO is the Manufacturers Statement of Origin. If the dealer takes care of title and registration you wouldn’t get an MSO. If you title and register the bike yourself you would take the MSO to the DMV and they would keep it and give you a title.

Some states, like Colorado, don’t register off-road motorcycles. Here in New Mexico we have off-road registration but a lot of people don’t bother with it, especially if they only ride MX or don’t use public land. To be honest, I’ve never been asked to show my registration and I don’t know of anyone who has been asked. I’m not sure who would ask for it but I think you would need it if you wanted to get insurance.

If you registered you bike in Montana I’m almost certain that would be more than adequate for New Mexico. Are Super Sherpas street legal? It would be nice to have street tags for connecting fire roads together in the National Forests and then you wouldn’t have to worry about the off-road registration. Of course, you would probably be required to have insurance.

Bottom line is this; as long as you can prove ownership the worst that can happen is probably a ticket. If you are still worried you should contact the New Mexico State police. But don’t forget, if you ask the question be prepared for the answer.

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
I have an entire folder of papers from Pro Am, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have the import paper, from the border official. I imported the bike to Montana.

I am a resident of Montana. My vehicles are registered and insured in Montana. My driver's license is in Montana. I own 30 acres of land: taxed. Montana is my residence.

I purchased this bike specifically for dirt. I need this bike to get on and off my property, that or walk, until I get a new cylinder head from Canada for a "free" 4x4 Mitsubishi I was given the title.

The 2004 Kawasaki Super Sherpa 249cc is a dual-purpose bike, and is legal for North America.

The bike looks sharp. ..google: I can't put a link here at the forum. The only change I had them make was to put on 100% dirt tires.

I am not required to register, ORV-sticker, insure, or have a "motorcycle endorsement" on my driver's license, in Montana.

I asked my insurer. "Nope", she said.

I had a "motorcycle endorsement" when I was resident in another state, when "motorcycle endorsement's first began, but that is "history".

I have not taken the Great Falls motorcycle club's "dirt bike course". The deputy sheriff said, "I will tell you the same thing I tell all the kids (I am 57 years old :| ) you can ride the dirt bike on the dry lake bed."

I have checked at the Forest Service office, and I purchased maps for "designated" Forest roads and trails. I have the "conservation license" for the reservation. The rules there are the same as Fish and Game: animal trails with already existing motorized vehicle tracks are okay, here. I can ride on any of the dirt roads, on the reservation, and on any roads that are maintained by the Tribe, but not on roads maintained by the county, or the state highway, of course.

People there say, on the forums, there is no riding a dirt bike on the reservations, there. Really?

Does Fish and Game there allow dirt roads, narrow ATV tracks, designated trails, and animal trails that have motorized traffic tracks?

Does the Forest Service allow designated roads, maybe vertical sign roads only, and designated trails?

I have my GMC van, and a ramp, to move the bike between riding places.

I paid for the new bike "in full". I have my receipt.

I suppose I could put the entire bunch of papers in a gallon zip lock bag, and put that in a tailbag. I did have the optional accessory rack mounted. I could get a tailbag.

I have a full face dirt bike helmet: Nolan. I do not have goggles, yet, but I figure there are better supplied motorcycle stores on the way there. I do have full wrap shatterproof prescription Bolle sunglasses, with four different color lenses.

I still have my Belstaff "Trailmaster's", however I will probably get the new stuff with armor. I want to go slow and see the scenic sights. Nevertheless, I could hit a rock I suppose.

I have real motorcycle boots, not "tennis shoes" and shorts.

I planned to leave Oct 5-15. The snow has started on the low peaks,and snow is in our forecast tonight. I may have to get going: I hope I am going to be able to have the "snowbird winter" I want to have.

Am I going to be able to do dirt riding in New Mexico?

quote: "Bottom line is this; as long as you can prove ownership the worst that can happen is probably a ticket. If you are still worried you should contact the New Mexico State police. But don’t forget, if you ask the question be prepared for the answer." unquote.

I looked at every paper: I do have my receipt and my "Personal Vehicle Importation" form 7501 from the border official.

I do not see a "certificate of origin" paper anywhere, but the importation form, certified by U.S. Customs says the country of origin is Japan (of course) and the Exporting Country is Canada (of course). The border official circled "Unregulated (To include EPA NonRoad Personal Use or recreational vehicle exemption."

I know this is a conforming vehicle. I looked on the bike for EPA and DOT labels, but I don't find them. I suppose I could get a "Letter of conformity" and an "Approval letter from EPA and DOT" but not any time soon.

Montana does not have a DOQ.

Maybe I could request the MOC, and "Letter of Conformity" and "Approval letter from EPA and DOT" from Canada, but I would not have all that any time soon.

WOW. This is complicated stuff.

It's a dirt bike. I ride it on dirt. I have no desire to ride it on a road, or a highway. I am handicapped because of getting hit from behind, when I was in a station wagon. I feel I can ride again, on dirt ! Nuts ! with roads !

But, I do not want tickets, especially "moving violations" !

I have super inexpensive "good driver" insurance on my 4-wheel road vehicles.

Most especially, I do not want my ONLY ever brand new dirt bike IMPOUNDED ! :(

I am "googled" the New Mexico State Police. I sent them an email. I hope they write back.

Last edited:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I think you will be ok. Just ride and have fun.

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks, VD ! You ride that Bultaco Sherpa T ?

People in forums said New Mexico isn't too uptight.

Actually, they said New Mexico isn't too progressive. In my book, that is a good thing !

I told the New Mexico State Police in email the information on the Personal Vehicle Importation form, and all the details.

The New Mexico State Police website email webpage said they would write back soon.

Sep 29, 2023
Anybody know where to ride track like places in Albuquerque NM I'm new to the dirt ride seen and I only have a Apollo Z40 just to learn on. Really want to find places and people to ride with to learn in Albuquerque no travel further then 9mile up to tramway please help thank you

Top Bottom