Volkswagen Beetle (newer one) Questions

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
My girlfriend is looking at trading in her truck for a 2002 VW Bug Turbo. Does anybody have any comments on these vehicles? Surely there ought to be some of you guys have experience with a newer bug, I'm looking for any info you can offer on maintenance, reliability, safety, gas mileage, and such. Anything you could offer would be great!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Knew a guy (yes really) that had one. Said he got 53mpg running on the interstate to Houston (i.e. FLAT). I've seen there can be issues with the fuel injection system byt don't recall what they were for sure. I suspect the maintenance costs like most diesels will be slightly higher one the diesel specific items but in the long haul will be very reliable and return good mileage like most all diesels do. They are remarkably quiet but then I have a 7.3 Powerstroke so my tolorance is a bit high LOL!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
my daughter has the gas version. If you like to maintain your own vehicle I recommend against it. I had to change out the battery and it was a 2 hr. job. OTOH, they are a blast to drive, I'm sure the turbo even more so.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
2 hours to change the battery? You need to take a few less beer breaks! LOL. I'm sure they have everything quite well packed into thosse lil things.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom