Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Last night I stopped in the shop to get some parts, and they had a used bike I have never seen before. VOR. Nice looking machine. What is it? Where do they come from? Anyone know anything about these bikes?

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Find out the year and model and I can get you more info than you want to read. Also where to get parts and stuff for those who are curious. (Parts are available from 1999-current bikes). :)

My personal favorite's are the 2001 400 V-cross for us older rational types wanting an all-around bike or the 2001 503 MX of :) V-cross for the young and agressive types look for a do-it-all bike. :)

Fun bikes. Under rated.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
They are a piece of art.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'll stop back in and see which model/year it is.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
taraker, depends on the model. The 2002's are a lot less critical than the last generation and they weren't bad.

The 1999-2001 need to have the oil changes every couple of rides. They say 300 miles. I say around 15-20 hours. On the early ones, oil changes are real easy and the air filter maintainance is easier than the standard bike. Don't have to fish around in an airbox. The new ones have an additional oil filter to mess with so they aren't bad either. The new air filter is under the number panel. Not as slick as the old ones. The 2002's with Electric start have the additional weight and maintainance of a battery and wiring harness.

The spokes go forever after initial seat before you have to mess with them. Swing arm bearings and linkage is about a 2hr affair to clean and grease. I do that twice a year and things look fine .. no wear..so far. The nice quality components save dollars. I still have the origional chain and sprockets on both the 2000 and 2001. (I have replaced three sets of tires on the 2001.) But the chain sprockets show little wear. Parts are available and in line cost wise with everyone else so far. (I smashed a radiator on my 2001 along with body damage and broken levers have parts purchasing experience)

So maintainance isn't bad at all.

The 2001 handle the best of the early generation. The 2001 has Shorter forks which tucks in the front more than the earlier ones. Much better suspension valving too. I had to rework the forks on the 2000 to get it close. And the 2000's fork had to slid up in the clamps as far as they would go to turn like the 2001. Even then the 2001 turns better. And the 2002 turns much better than any of the 1999-2001 series, is much lighter on top, and is much thinner in the tank/radiator area. The 2001 cam timing was much nicer for all around riding. The 2000 503's are brutal. I actually like the 2001 motors the best.

There are some I would avoid 'cause I know their history and I know the SN's.

Last edited:

VOR 492

Feb 18, 2001
RoosteR13 where in Iowa are you? I ride in eastern Iowa quite often and I attend the Iowa Enduro series, I have an 99 VOR. If want to try it sometime let me know.

Bill

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
A friend of mine has a 2001 VOR 503 Enduro which I have ridden often.

I would describe it as having a more 'classical thumper' power delivery when compared to my YZ400. Both oil and air filter maintenance need to be done regularly but both tasks are relatively easy. The bigest problem I have is the forward kick-start which I find hard to switch to and from but you get used to it.

On the handling side, I wouldn't say it was nimble but it has no huge flaws for an enduro bike. The current model is better I believe.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
VOR492 - I'm smack dab in the middle, Ames area. I'm not really interested in owning a VOR, I just had never heard of them, and thought it was a nice looking bike.

eunos

Jan 17, 2002
Hey you guys if you want to see real art look at Vermatti (original designer of the VOR) Everything is manufactured from billet and guaranteed for the life of the bike providing they service it. Only prob in excess of £8000 here in England I guess that would make it about $13000,US.I saw one at a show they only let 2 people at a time look at the engine internals It was worth the wait to look and drool!

Top Bottom