Vortex Carb. mod, anybody have it?

Roost King

Jan 13, 2001
Does anyone know anything about the Vortex carb mod by Pro Action? Would this mod work well on a bike with a ported cylinder, pipe, and reed cage? Ive seen that it is really quite cheap at $65 and I am thinking about sending off my carb but I dont want to waste my time on something that doesn't work. Any info would be appreciated.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Save your money, it's complete BS. Although their description of how it works is PRICELESS :)

Looks to me like someone over there cut physics class in high school to go smoke a joint in the parking lot. :silly:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by 98cr150mx
why doesn't it work?

Because all the marketing dollars and high zoot names in the world can't modify the laws of fluid dynamics.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Lou - It's completely different. The Pro-Action "mod" is nothing but a pinhead (oops I mean technician) gouging the upstream bore of the carb with a porting tool. They have a cute little jig made up to make sure the gouges appear purposeful. Check out the ad copy at
http://www.pro-action.com/carb_mods.htm . It's a stitch :)

B

biglou

Yeah, I read the ad. None too specific about what exactly they do. Does this fall in line with the "Tornado" insert for automobile intake ducts?

Also-Not to cross threads, but what do you think of the mod in the pic that I posted. Seems to make sense to me, but I could be missing something fundamental here. I don't have any statistical results from those that have used it, only rider impressions. Again, this is another one of those 4-5 HP gain mods. Seems like a good idea but the HP claims seem unrealistic at best. Any thoughts?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
From my experience, procede at your own risk with that divider plate business.

If you want to find out how much fun it is to play with a divider plate carb and get it jetted up check out just kdx forum under "RB designs carbmod emergency jetting info needed".

After all that you might find better throttle response at up to 1/2 throttle but not as much top end. Probably best for woods riding with big carb bikes. On my kdx with a bored carb it helped when riding the real nasty stuff but the real key was jetting.

Sorry about crosssing the thread. Thought it might save a headache.

By the way Rich nailed it with the jetting comment. At $5 a needle you can get the carb dialed in for less than a set of carbon reeds and its well worth the effort.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by fishhead
By the way Rich nailed it with the jetting comment. At $5 a needle you can get the carb dialed in for less than a set of carbon reeds and its well worth the effort.

Credit where due. That was motometal, but you're both correct. Sharp jetting is the ultimate performance mod for most riders.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom