Dec 13, 2009
i have an 03 xr 70 that i want to make into a decent pitbike. do any of you have any ideas on what to modify and how. i know where i could get the rear shock/spring off of a larger old trailbike made in the 80's, but have no idea about the front suspension.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Like any project you need to define a budget first. Then determine if the starting point you have and the funds you have will get to the end product you want. There are all sorts of possibilities for improved suspension on a little XR but the real question is if the bike is something that will end up breaking in half because of the abuse better suspension will allow. Lots of places offer replacement for kits (I have one I might part with as a matter of fact) but then you will need to upgrade the front wheel AND brake setup. You might be able to pop some spacers in the stock tubes and get a slight increase but will it work with the setup you plan for the back? lots' of possibilities and lots of places to waste money so start with a budget and realistic goal. It might help if you even posted it here and you could get feedback on what you are thinking.

Dec 13, 2009
ok.....i am currently broke , but i can get up to around $65 in a little while(i realize that much will get me nowhere).i live in minnesota and will NOT be doing much for the nex 4 months, so i will have a bunch of time for wrenching.....im 75 lbs at the moment and cant even bottom out my 65's suspension( i jump far and not high). i am wondering about the spokes and the weight of my bike, not my weight. i would not jump very high or strenulously, just on a few bmx size jumps. i pretty much like to mess around on little jumps. my neighbor has a SWEET maze of trails with some decent jumps. that is pretty much all i will be riding on, so i dont think i will need a ton of suspension. i thought of simply compressing the rear spring and sticking a few washers in it to make it compressed and hard, making it more jumpable. i will try to put spacers in the fork tube in the front. i have a friend who owns a yz125 with pvc pipe spacers in the forks, so it shuld wirk for me too. i could prolly (with help) weld op some kind of support brace for the bike, but am not sure where to do this and how. the bike is very mechanically sound, and i dont think this should be too much of a problem, but you apparently have experience, so i will leave it to you guys for advice and help.......

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom