Warm place to trail ride in January?

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Hello,
A bunch of us from Ottawa Canada want to go trail riding somewhere in January.

We want:
Warm - like t-shirt weather at least.

Good trails - we want to do a 10 day trip, so there better be more than one day of riding to do over and over ten times ;)
We are into single track for sure. Maybe some faster stuff or dunes for a day, maybe an easy MX track for a day, but mostly single track trails please.

Not too far of a drive - less than 1800 miles drive would be nice, but the warm part is going to take driving...

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Well I just checked an on-line map place and there is a Reno in 14 states! So which one did you have in mind?

I hope you didn't mean nevada as that is almost 2700 miles and a little far to drive for us ;)

Thanks,
Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
What about Ocala Florida? What is that like? What type of riding is ocala? Any single track? Or is it all flat wide 4 wheeler trails?

How much DIFFERENT riding is there in Ocalla. Like how many days trail riding at race pace before we have to see the same trails over again?

Thanks,
Phil Jensen

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I hope you didn't mean nevada as that is almost 2700 miles and a little far to drive for us
Based on what you're looking for, you have to drive at LEAST that far.

Southern California, Texas Florida, New Mexico, Arizona... and some of those won't always be t-shirt weather. (Assuming a Canadian's idea of t-shirt weather would be 50-60's)

You aren't going to find what you are looking for IMHO.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Ocala Florida is less than 1400 miles away from us.

It is warm according to the weather.com

what is the riding like there?

And even us canadians don't usually like to wear t-shirts in the 50's ;)
60-70 degrees would be better.

Thanks,
Phil

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I don't think you'll find any one singleplace in the southeast that would give you 10 days of riding without hitting the same area multiple times. The Hatfield/McCoy trails in WV might, but they'll be cold, if not closed, at that time.

As you swing through, I'd consider http://tntmotorsportsinc.com and http://durhamtown.com

Also, if you check http://scohv.org, you'll find links for Manchester State Forest and Francis Marion.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Well I guess it is more like 7 days of riding if we went to florida (got to have a couple days for travelling) and was not realistically expecting every single day to be different, but on the other hand if there is only one days worth of riding, it would suck to do it over and over 7 times...
Know what I mean?

What is this Ocala place like? Anyone know? How many days of riding is there to do there?
Types of riding?

Maybe a few days there, then this croome place, and then?

Thanks,
Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Those SC places that you mentioned could be good too. Perhaps we could stop by there for a day or two then go to florida. If ocala is a good place to ride. Have not been able to find much info on the dirt biking in ocala. Most of the info on the net seems to be hiking and bicycling...

Thanks.

Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
This is the most informative site I have found on Ocala:
http://www.floridatrailriders.org/articles/ONF.htm
and it has no info really. No info on the types of trails, or how many miles of trails, or even any pictures. Tried their gallery too - seems to be all motocross track pictures on their "trail rider" site.

Tried to sign up for the florida trail riders forum, but can't post because the mod hasn't approved my sign up - so I thought I would ask here since there are so many people from all around, maybe someone knows the place.

Thanks,
Phil

TreeTalker

May 8, 2004
You might think about the Oklahoma and Texas area. Not sure how far that would be for you, but you might find some nice stuff in Texas. There are a few areas around OKC that are great riding, but the weather won't be that warm. I know of two places in Texas that I have read about. Goto to the Texas Smack Pack area of the forums and ask those guys. They should be able to help you out. One of the areas they ride has about 1600 acres of land, the other I am not sure. Good size I believe. Good luck with your search.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Have anybody ever tried this place? Here
I'm not sure if it's far enough south, to miss the snow and ice? This place might be some where you could ride like in late February early March?

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
If you go close to WVa you will want to check out Hatfield&McCoy trail system. It wont be shirtsleeve riding but worth the trip.

Top Bottom