hks308

Mod Ban
Jun 4, 2006
you guys actually warm up your two strokes? cuz my buddy with a banshee is always like you have to wait to warm up your 2 stroke so that you don't crack your piston, is he right? what do you guys do, how long do you wait?

skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
Engine parts expand as they warm up, and they are designed to run at full operating temperature. Until all the engine parts are hot, they're not at their proper operating dimensions. Before riding, I always warm my engine till it's too hot to touch. I usually change RPM during warmup with slight blips of the throttle.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Let it idle and periodically give it bursts of the throttle until the radiators are warm to the touch and you should be good to go. But if you warm it up too long you could cause overheating because theres no air moving through the rad fins to help cool the bike.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
hks308 said:
you guys actually warm up your two strokes? cuz my buddy with a banshee is always like you have to wait to warm up your 2 stroke so that you don't crack your piston, is he right? what do you guys do, how long do you wait?

Yes, and my 4-stroke when I had it as well. As stated in some of the posts the engine parts clearances are designed for when the engine is at operating temp. To hammer it before then can cause premature wear and even cold seizures (though you don't see that much these days...)

Also a 2-stroke runs better once its warmed up.

Jun 28, 2006
FruDaddy said:
I actually take a nice slow sight lap to warm the engine. This also warms the tranny, something most never think about.

I perfer to do the same. After I start the bike I take a slow trail loop to warm it up. Never hammer a cold engine.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
FruDaddy said:
I actually take a nice slow sight lap to warm the engine. This also warms the tranny, something most never think about.

Also it allows you to check out the track. I always tell my son to take a sighting lap to do that and warm up the bike.

hks308

Mod Ban
Jun 4, 2006
yea, thats what i do, where i go riding i start it at the top of the hill and just let it coast down until i get to the end.

Cr 1_2_5

Nov 13, 2005
To warm mine I usually let it idle for 3-4 minutes with a few short slight cracks at the throttle then ride in second gear for 5-10 minutes then it seems to run like a champ and usually doesnt bog!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
FruDaddy said:
I actually take a nice slow sight lap to warm the engine...
Hmmm...I guess that means I'm warming up the engine the whole time I'm on the track!! :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom