Washed bike without spark plug need help

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Ok i washed my bike and when i was done i saw that i forgot to put in my spark plug. I yelled holy bleep mother bleeper for a few minutes, then I poured 2 stroke oil in the head, and cranked the bike 100 times or so. Then i flipped the bike upside down and cranked it another 200 times. I left it upside down for 10 minutes, then i flipped it on to the rubber side. I put in a new spark plug then I turned on the gas and choke and opened the throttle all the way and kicked the starter slowly. I have the spark plug in there now. I added oil to my gas too, 2 ounces to 1 3/4 gallons, which was already mixed in there at 36:1. Thats about 26:1 or so now. Should i do anything else short of a rebuild?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
FMX. I wouldn't sweat it too much, better to get water in there cold than hot (ie: drowning it in a stream, etc). You did the right thing in getting the water out. Start up the bike and run it for a few minutes, it'll be fine.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Ok Cool, so it should be good :) . Ill run 1/2 gallon through it before leaning out the gas\oil mixture to 36:1 just to be absolutely certain. LOL, i will never forget this, the ultimate day in stupidity, too bad im not gonna tell anyone. Ill always check the plug before i pull out the hose. Everyone who reads this, make sure you dont put your motor, yourself and your neighbors (loud profane language) under extra stress.

spt23dc

Sep 22, 2001
Not soo bad

:) Dont sweat this so much. If you want to be obcessive you can take off your exhaust pipe in case any H20 got in it. Pull the carb and shoot some carb cleaner; then shoot carb with compressed air. Take off air cleaner and inspect to see if any water got into airbox. Finally with all of that stuff off then kick the bike over and over to get all H20 out. Reassemble and start up, but caution: I would not run it with that higher than usualy premix ratio. If your bike was jetted for 32:1 with the oil you use, adding more oil will only lean out your bike and thats just as bad as the H20.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
I changed the gear oil, but why would 24 parts gas to 1 part oil be more lean then 36 parts gas to 1 part oil? There is more oil in 24:1 then 36:1. No water in airbox, no water in pipe. :) Here goes nothing... (starting my bike now)

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
FMX, spt23dc is right, more oil in the gas will create a leaner condition (ie: similar to smaller jet). This subject has been beat to death. Rich has covered it thoroughly in recent posts, if your interested, do a search. It's a common misunderstanding that leads people to think that more oil is richer, when it is the opposite. More oil is not bad, but jetting should be adjusted to compensate.

Did bike start up OK?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
if your bike blubbers after running it for a while then you'll need to drain your float bowl on the carb, reason being it has a water "bubbble" in it. It is more dense than the gas surrounding it so it'll stay at the bottom of the bowl until you juice the gas and it'll float up. Then you'll get a minute amount of water in the jets and it'll want to stall. It's kinda interesting really but I'd just be safe and clean the carb.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Getting the bike running was good. As long as its running, don't worry at all. Once the bike heats up, all the water will evaporate.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
SMB i think what you said is happening, i ran my bike for 5 minutes and it smelled funny so i stopped and went back inside. I pulled the plug and i found that its white. Like as white as new! It had some water on it, but it was white as ghosts. Clean the carb you say?

Last edited:

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Hey I cleaned out my carburator, it looks like a lot of water was in the float bowl. Heres my redneck "pit stop style" carb cleaning. I take the carb off the bike, bring it in my house, my mom screams 19 different obscenities while I take the float bowl off and clean the bowl and the floats above it with WD-40, thats a good carb. cleaner right? I took the floats off and looked at the jets, they were clean and i ran over them with a paper towel. I put it all back together and now it sits in my garage, when im done with this post ill put it back on. BTW my float bowl was 1/2 full with water :scream:

Last edited:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
it's kinda a strange feeling when the bikes wants to die at speed isn't it?
In a pinch (I had to do this on the trail once) you can just take the cap loose on the bottom of the float bowl and turn the gas on to clear the water out. At least now you can say your bike is squeaky clean inside and out. Good Luck :)

Last edited:

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Holy jesus, when you put the clamp for the overflow tubes through the wrong bolt on the float bowl a 10 minute job takes an hour, :think ! I am ready to explode and throw my dirtbike off a cliff. Its all together now 1 hour to get my throttle assembly back together, in the carb, and the intake clamps clamped on. Anger is massive need to beat something with a rusted pipe, yes a rusted pipe, no it doesnt work with a sterile surgical steel pipe, rusted pipes let out agression 20x better. :o +:think = anger

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Ok i ran my bike today, White plug, but theres an oily film on the bottom of the porcelin. My exhaust pipe also blows lots of oil, theres just a little residue on the bottom of the porcelin though. Could the crank be flooded with water and the transfer port covered with water and the vacuum created by the piston not enough to overcome the weight of the water? I am now running 36:1 with bel-ray h1r, and fresh 80wt. bel-ray gear oil.

Top Bottom