CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
Sorry for all the trailer questions. Trying to get organized.

I don't feel comfortable mounting a water tank on the front of the trailer at 400-450lbs with water. However, it seems to be the best place.

I used to work on RVs, the tanks are under the trailers. But, I don't think this will be high enough for the power washer, filling might be a pain too.

I figure 45-60 gallon tank will work with what I have read. My trailer is only 6x12, and out of space inside with 2 bikes, workbench, etc.

Any ideas?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Wow, full trailer but you want to add a 55 gallon drum or the like. That's big. I would put it in the bed of the truck. It is not petite and you will have to give up a lot of space to haul that much water.

That much weight on the tongue will only add to the stability of the trailer but may overload the tongue structure. Not worth the risk of tacoing the tongue.

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
I think I am going to go with a 30-35 gallon tank on the toungue. If I had a pickup I would put it in the bed, but I have an excursion

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I've seen people mount the square 30-40 gallon tanks to the roof of the trailer. It only added about 20 inches to the height. The trailer that i saw it on had a roof bracket though.

Just a thought.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
With the high mounting point, slosh of the 400-500 gallons of water would be more likely to tip you over than a low mount point. Imagine 3-150 lb guys running and slamming into the side of the trailer, would rather they hit low than high. Water weighs 8 lbs per gallon.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
On a slightly different slant, (pun intended) alot of the guys aroun here take a hnd truck, and use a tie down to secure the drum to it. Roll it into the trailer. When you wanna wash the bike you roll it out and set it down on the handle (I have a 40 gallon drum, ir it was full I probably would have to have a buddy help, 1/2 full I have done it myself) There seems to be enough force on the water to feed my washer. I too have thought about putting it on the tounge, but it seemed to much weight up front to me, I have a smaller truck (Dodge Dakota) :ride: ( this smilie is not really relelvant, I just kinda dig him)

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
look under your trailer - if it is like my pace 6x12 trailer - you could mount RV tanks under the floor between the I-beams. could even go a little below the I-beams as the axle is about 4"lower. if you are worried about impacts, build a shield at the front of the tank. on a tandam - i bet the best location would be between the axles - they would then protect you from direct impacts.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
My RV has a 12V electric pump mounted where the water comes out of the tank to pressure feed the pressure washer. I would mount it low, go with an electric pump, and provide a drain to get rid of all the water when not needed.

The extra weight of carrying water, and the speeds hit by our driver, have resulted in several blowouts. :(

mxracin

Sponsoring Member
Nov 23, 2003
JC Whitney sells RV water tanks. They are 8" x 16" x lengths up to 72". I put three 72" for a total of 108 gallons at the front of the trailer. Piped them all together and installed a $30 rv water pump. They would probably fit between the frame rails of most trailers if you wanted to mount them down low.

Top Bottom