jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
I need to haul one bike behind a 4runner, and I don't know what to get. I think the hitch mount would be easier than dealing with a trailer, but they seem very expensive for what they are, and I am worried about the stability/sturdiness of them. The one that I like http://www.ready-2-ride.com/Webpages/navpro-carrier.htm would end up costing about $400 with shipping. I can get the MotoJack Rack for about $50 less (free shipping), but it doesn't seem like it would be as secure as the other one, however, I like the idea that the forks don't have to be compressed. And then there is this generic one http://www.truckspecialties.com/hitch_rack.htm which is very cheap but would you trust it? I will be making frequent trips out of state (about 350 miles one way) and I just want something that is going to hold up well. I need to get something ASAP, and any advice/opinions would be VERY appreciated! Thanks!

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
you've got it backwards. Because the motojackrack secures at the footpegs, it's MORE secure than the normal channel. A friend has a generic channel one, works fine, but bike moves around alot. I have a motojackrack I use when I'm just taking one bike on my 98 4runner, and I'll never use anything else. It's fantastic, and the fact it's small means it's easy to store!
Mines rated for a 400 lb bike I believe, wife bought it and got the heavy duty one..normal one would have been fine.

You won't regret it.

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
Thanks for the reply. Where is the best place to order the motojackrack from? The only site I saw was motoshopper or something. Is that the only place to get it from?

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
If you are some what handy you can make your own. I made one for allot less than what they sell for and it has help up great. I have taken it on the back of my Jeep and my 4Runner with out problem. If you have any questions let me know but I think you should consider this option as it can really save you some money.
Steven

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
Gixer, as much as I would like to build one myself, I just don't think I could trust it. I haven't heard of any significant problems with the motojackrack, and everyone seems to love theirs, so I am leaning in that direction. I sent an email to Jeff at MX South to see what he can do for me.

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
I hear ya.
It really is easy to make one if you get good material there are no problems, But you have to feel safe that is what matters.
Good luck in your surch and please let us know what you get.
Steven

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
well, I have a motojackrack, but can vouch for homemade ones. friend has one he made out of standard iron stock into the hitch, then just bolted it to an aluminum channel, with angle iron up at the front to hook the tie downs to. I moves around a bit, but works fine, they certainly aren't supporting much weight.

so, if money's a deal here, making one wouldn't probably take more than a day and a few tools...
if mine wasn't a gift from the wife, I might have made one.....

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
Scratch the motojackrack. For the HD (rated for 400lbs), it would cost $400 plus $40 for shipping. Yeah, that's $440!! I am now looking at the Joe Hauler and the Add-a-bike. Anyone have experience with these? I emailed Jeff at MX South and he says either one is good, with the nod going to the add-a-bike. I like it, but on the video (on mxsouth website) it looks like the bike can wobble around a lot once it's locked down. If I go with Joe Hauler, I'm back to using straps, but is that really so bad? I appreciate the replies on here. I can use all the advice I can get. I know I'm probably being too anal about this whole thing, but as much as I like the idea of these carriers, it still scares me to hang a $6k bike off the back of my truck while driving down the freeway.

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
I am with the school you can never use to many straps. I almost lost the bike on a trailer one time so I use every strap in the house.

Here is how I do it on mine some might say over kill but I have not lost a bike yet. I usually take my KX125 or XR400 on the rack with no problem. THey do sway some but this can help out to keep that down to a min.

This is what I do on a short haul:
1 pair straps up front and 1 pair in the back. I put a slight lean on the bike away from the back of the truck then I take one more strap from the fram and attach it to the hitch and pull her twards the truck till she is straight up and down again. THen check all the staps again to make sure its tight. this keep the bike on there nice. it wobbles a little but its ok.

On a long trip I use 1 extra pair of straps and go from the frame right near the foot pegs straight down to the rack this really helps tighten her up more.

My buddy has been doing this also on his rack and says its a great idea.

Also on both of our racks we have a piece that comes off the 2" bar stock up and then under the bike so you can tighten the bike down on to it. If you can get that on a rack or make it and add it it really helps also.

just some ideas.

Again think about making one it should cost ya less than 100bucks.

Steven

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i had a tray-type hauler & then a mjr. both worked ok. the tray-type is alot simpler; i had to add hydro fluid to the mjr once. also, when the mjr bottoms out on a driveway or rut in the parking area of a race, it is your precious bike that hits the ground. the tray-type i had came with a tilt mechanism & latch, that is what bottomed out on it & i was constantly having to fix that when it bent or jammed with dirt. it was also heavy & bulky to store. if i were to buy another, i think i'd get the lightest, simplest tray-type, with a ramp, that i could find.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
yep, they all have their strong points. I like the HD Motojack rack because it's small and the bike is super stable and you don't need a ramp or extra space on the side of the vehicle to load it.
The channel type are lighter, easier to carry and super cheap to make or not to expensive to buy, but to make them super stable, you'd need to use really strong steel which is heavier and even then I don't think you could ever get rid of all the wobble. But, they're still plenty safe.

either type are way better for me than taking my 6x8 trailer when I'me only taking one bike :-)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Reconsider the MJR, it's a seriously well built piece and worth the money. I still use mine from time to time even though I have a bed to put my bikes in just because it's a great work stand and easy to load after a tiring day. As high as the MJR carries the bike it would seem odd to me that it would bottom out before a channel type that usually comes straight out of the hitch but, not having one to compare it with I can't say 100%. KNowing my bike will be on the rack unless the footpegs come off and that the suspension is not compressed made it money well spent in my book.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
yes, i should clarify--the bottoming out happened b/f i added booster springs to the suv i was driving at the time. after that upgrade, no bottoming out. & it does make a great work stand at the race site. but for the extra couple hundred bucks, if i ever had to give up my pickup, i think i'd get another tray-type. they aren't as cool, but are secure enough for me.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
OK, this may add to the confusion ... How often do you ride, and do you have a ball connection already.

While you are making up your mind, use a small u-haul trailer when you need to ride. This way, you can haul more than 1 bike at a time, and not worry about owning/storing a trailer.

I would also look into having a MJR style hitch rack made - will certainly not cost you $400-$500.

Bundu

Last edited:

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
BunduBasher, I ride every chance I get, which isn't often enough. ;) Anyway, I am looking to haul out of town hopefully at least once a month. I am in the Navy, and so far, that's what I've done is rent a trailer from MWR department. It's a little cheaper than U-haul, but I am still going to rack up a lot of money doing it if I keep going. I'm a spur of the moment kind of person as well, and sometimes that makes it hard to rent a trailer. I am down to three options: MJR, Joe Hauler, or Add-a-bike. I really need to order one this week, so I NEED to make up my mind. I'm even driving my wife crazy!

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
Well, I just ordered a USED Add-a-bike from MX South, for about half price. Hopefully that was a good choice. I'll let y'all know!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I like the looks of the add-a-bike - looks pretty stable, and easy to use. - looks easy to make too !! :thumb:

redrocket190

Apr 9, 2002
I have a MJR that is used to haul a CR250R on the back of a Land Rover Discovery 2000. I needed a longer tube that goes in the hitch and when I called MJR they made one to fit for no extra charge. Good customer service. I think it was about $330+tax. It is very stable when the slack in the hitch is taken out with the adjuster bolt and the foot pegs hold the bike nice and tight to the platform. Remember to ask for a 2nd locking pin and get another jack handle...if you leave these behind or lose them you are pretty much up the creek. Only complaint is that you have to remove the MJR from the hitch to get the back door of the Discovery open.

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
Received the Add-a-bike carrier today. It seems to be pretty decent, but then again, I have nothing to compare it to. Simple to put together, 6 bolts and nuts. There is a little play in the receiver, and their solution is a 5/8 bolt and nut in place of the hitch pin. I didn't try that, but I really don't see where it would help. My hitch pin fits very snug through there. I only took it around town a little bit, it wobbles around some, but overall it seems to be secure. I am going to try to go out of town this weekend, so I will let you know how it does on a long trip.

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
Yeah they will wobble a little. I take a strap and go from the frame of the bike to the hitch where you would attacha safty chain. this helps some. I actually tilt the bike away from the truck a little and use the strap to pull it up right. It cut down on the wobble some. On long trips I add 2 extra straps from the fram straight down to the rack reall right she sits nice then but I only really do this on long drives.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
you might try this:have a nut welded to the bar & run a bolt thru so that it wedges against the hitch, = no sway. can't take credit for the idea, i stole it fair & square from seeing it on a rack.

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
Gixer, good ideas. Thanks. I was trying to think of ways that I could add some straps to make it more secure. I will try doing what you said. Lawman, I'm not exactly sure what you mean, or more specifically WHERE you mean. Where are you saying to weld the nut? I apologize, I just can't picture what you're saying. Maybe it's too early in the morning. ;)

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I've had the MJR for about seven years and have used it across the country.

Some problem with welds, and jack leaking, and had to have it rewelded once. But still doing a good job, and on my T-100 pickup, can get into the back of truck with cap easily.

Driving at night with full load? Plan on your headlights way up in the air.

Top Bottom