Water In Oil?

eddie20

May 26, 2003
Selling my 2001 KX250, keeping the two KDXs which are more fun to ride. But, a guy looked at the bike tonight and after riding it he said the oil had water in it, because through the oil level check you could see foaming oil. Was he correct, easy fix?
Thanks,
Eddy

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
By just checking the little window and seeing that the oil has some air bubbles in it does not mean the oil has water mixed. If there is water in the oil, it will look like mud or coffee with cream added. Let the bike sit and if the oil looks clear, then no problem. If it looks milky, then you have water in the oil.
I suspect either he was passing on bad info as to how oil is determined to contain water or he was trying to get you to drop your price.
If your oil does contain water, then a seal has failed. Check your shop manual for ease of fix.

eddie20

May 26, 2003
Thanks for the input, just what my mechanic said. All oil foams after running, but if it settles down and goes clear no water.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…