Water pump seal, black sludge and smoke.

May 1, 2007
My 1989 YZ 250wr is leaking a little bit of crap out of the water pump seal onto the top of my crankcase. You can watch it steam and bubble black crap out while you rev it. Im sure there that seal is nothing too terribly hard to change but my question is why is the crap black. If I ride for a few hours the crankcase will have a little bit of black crap on the top of it and a little bit all around the whole seal. My coolant level does not drop atleast not noticeably. The bike doesn't seem to overheat or be running lean. Is there something I should be checking for when I take it apart that would explain the smoky steam crap when revved and black gunk around the seal? thanks

May 1, 2007
Im embarrassed. The sludge is dripping down from the power valve housing onto the water pump housing. The big rubber seal at the bottom is leaking. Is it normal for spooge and exhaust to come out of the housing if it is leaking?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
robbieisurfriend said:
Im embarrassed. The sludge is dripping down from the power valve housing onto the water pump housing. The big rubber seal at the bottom is leaking. Is it normal for spooge and exhaust to come out of the housing if it is leaking?

You should be taking that apart from time to time and cleaning it..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
X-Rider said:
does anyne know how much a water pump seal is for a cr80?

Instead of thread jacking, why don't you call an actual bike shop near you and ask them?

I'd guess around here they are no more than 8 or 10 dollars, but since you're in a totally different country, who knows.

Top Bottom