Water pump

trl

Feb 22, 2002
I have a 2001-200 bought new in Dec. 01. It has 247 miles on it. I have not ridden it or cranked it up since July, 2002. Last month, I noticed a small pool of antifreeze under it and investigated. I saw a small accumulation of antifreeze on the water pump drain bolt. I cleaned it off, tighetened all the associated hoses and made sure that the drain bolt was tight and checked it again in 2 days and the small accumulation was back. I checked closer and noticed that the water pump cover gasket has a slight amount of damage observable from the outside so I replaced it. When I took the cover off, the mating surface of the gasket looked good and it looked like the damage would not have caused a leak. I also made sure that the drain bolt washer was in place and looked good. A few days later the accumulation was back. I've checked everything I can to find a leak. There is no visible antifreeze trail to indicate a problem higher up somewhere. I noticed a small hole behind the drain bolt in the body of the water pump. What is its purpose? It has been around 0 degrees F at night, but the bike is inside the garage.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
correct me if im wrong but I beleive the hole is there to tell you when your water pump seals are bad. a small amount of fluid leaks out if the pump needs to be rebuilt.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…