WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
I rode Sunday with my buddy, and had an excellent ride. We switched bikes for a while and I had my second good ride on his 2001 WR250F. He has geared up 3t on rear sproket and has made the appropriate "from the factory" mods., (this includes among other things cutting a red or green wire under the fuel tank which apparently disables the variable timing?).:think:
My bike is a 96 200 with a 240 LA sleeve and FMF fatty with the usual mods listed here. Now, I can't keep up with this guy anyway, but when we stopped he was impressed, very impressed! :cool: No shortage of power as compared with his bike (maybe more) and he really liked the way you can go from low end tech stuff then fan the clutch and move some dirt. This bike rips!
I really liked his WR, I can't start it, It rides stiff, stiff seat, lots of power without the big hit. It's a nice bike. These are things riders get used to and given more time I would be happy with the WR. I like the KDX better.
I don't have any questions, although I think I did see a thread the other day comparing the two bikes and I hope this may help someone with their decision.
I'll continue testing.

MDA

May 27, 2002
walkman, Interesting post. My riding buddy and I both just got brand new bikes (both rookies). I got a 02KDX220 and he got an 02YZ250F (a bit different, but not a big stretch I don't think). Both our bikes are stock. When he pours on the power, I have to work hard to keep up. When we come to technical stuff, he really has to work extra hard to keep his engine from stalling. I just put it in second gear and lug it (first gear is actually a little scary how much torque it puts out). I know once we get on a track, he is going to blow me out of the water, but for now I ride "the king of the woods".

I have not tried his bike yet, but I know I will soon. I'll be curious to get his reaction from a ride in a trail environment. I'm sure I'll be stalling his YZ over and over so I better learn to start that monster properly.

I love my KDX...

-Mark-

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
Just don't stall it, that's when that thumper get's angry. I've whtched my buddy reduce himself to to levels of shear exhaustion trying to start his WR after stalling, once when I stalled it in a spot where there was no way to bump start

MDA

May 27, 2002
:) He he... same with my buddy. Neither of us are very big guys and just watching him try to kick start that Thumper makes me glad I have a KDX. He is getting better, but sometimes I just kill my motor while is trying to get it going. Then when he is ready... one kick and I'm off. I think I do it just to bug him ;)

-Mark-

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Dont get to cocky guys about 2 vs 4 stroke starting. I can start my XR600 first kick! It was always like that with an Edelbrock carb. Back to the stock, if I flood the engine, you do the 10 minute kicking drill but any bike will be that way.

Once you learn where TDC is on the 4 stroke and kick it, it should start first kick. The tricky part with all the auto decompression stuff is finding the TDC. See I removed that on my XR to make starting easier and it is.

Tell your friends that there are a few wires to cut and modify on the YZF bikes to get them running and starting better. Try this page:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/index.htm

Lots of good info there.

Really it just takes time on a bike to get use to it. Granted is has to be jetted and running properly also.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Once you learn where TDC is on the 4 stroke and kick it, it should start first kick. The tricky part with all the auto decompression stuff is finding the TDC.
[
That all sounds good in theory, but try keeping it all straight when you're wrestling your bike off a 16 inch log on a muddy hill in a HS with other bikes bouncing off you in 90 degree heat and 70 percent humidity and you're already exhasusted.

I'll wait for the magic e-start button, thanks...

MDA

May 27, 2002
Matt90GT,

I didn't intend to come off as cocky. I do realise that a flooded KDX will be difficult to start. However when you specifically compare the WR/YZ250F to a KDX, the difference is dramatic. Although I am not a wrench head, I would also assume that the compression ratio on a YZ250F would be higher than your XR600, so your comparrison might not tell the whole story either. Then again, I could be wrong.

-Mark-

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
I think the big difference in the amount of energy required to actually kick these bikes over. The thumpers require much more energy and all that while you are on the kickstand! I don't even lift off my seat to kick the KDX.
Matt90GT, is your XR equipped with auto decompression? I have a 99 KLR 250 with auto decompression and its easy to start, no kickstand or gymnastics required.
Like I said before, I like the WR250F but I can't see myself being happy with the difficult starting. As for flooding the KDX, that day is still to come.
MDA, ride that YZ and let us know what its like, I'll bet it rips.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i'm another 2 and 4stroke owner (kdx200,klx300).i'm fond of both that's why i still have both.i found nothing is perfect,one starts easier than the other,one goes twice as far on a tank of fuel,one is more complicated to service,etc...etc,they r both dirtbikes but very diff

Top Bottom