justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
What does everyone use for a web hosting site.? I do not need anything done for me merely a hosting site with easy to use tools. I need more than a free site. Any suggestions?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Wouldn't recommend dreamhost, they've got a bad reputation (accidentally billing over $2mil then made a joking blog post about it claiming "my bad"-- read the comments). They've done similar shady things as well. Hostgator.com is really decent and is based in the US (with US based support, hurray!). Whatever you do: avoid startlogic.com like the plague.

If you ever need to get a quick "feel" for a hosting company, just do a search on twitter. People will usually vent on there.

The dreamhost "oops" blog post, read the comments, its quite funny to watch a company shoot themselves in the foot:

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2008/03/21/good-reminiscing-friday/

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I registered a domain name with godaddy for around $10. for 5 years and set up an old PC I had with linux. it's sitting in my spare bedroom.
www.wacoeaglesmc.com

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I use a host run by a friend, and backed by godaddy. It is Hisdomains.com, and you can get reliable hosting for less than $10 per month. I cannot verify the simplicity of the tools, but there is a reasonable amount of code freedom as well as email addresses and subdomains.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
inotocracy said:
Wouldn't recommend dreamhost, they've got a bad reputation (accidentally billing over $2mil then made a joking blog post about it claiming "my bad"-- read the comments). They've done similar shady things as well.

Pretty much all Dreamhost communication including the monthly newsletter is done in an off the cuff joking manner. As far as the billing fiasco I was one of the affected customers, they apologized profusely and covered any and all costs associated with the error and gave me some extra time on my hosting plan. Not a big deal, nothing shady a simple error, do you really think if they were trying to rob their customers they couldn't come up with something more subtle than double billing them all?

Like I said it is definitely discount hosting like many others with some overloaded servers but crooks they are not as far as this multi year customer can see.

Top Bottom