Well, no longer have a new KDX in my garage

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
Some of you that have been on this site awhile probably remember my tale of woe. Bought my new '01 200 in Sept. of '02. Two days after I bought it I blew my back out. Had two back surgeries last year, the second was a fusion. The doc said my riding days were done. Well today my wife and two daughters went riding behind the house and I couldn't take it anymore. Dumped some fuel in the tank, turned on the petcock, lifted the choke and she fired on the second kick. Put all my gear on and hit the woods. Euphoria! I've been riding for 40 years until my back injury and other than things I couldn't do with the kids, not riding bothered me the most. The woods and dirt were perfect. The KDX is awesome! I had a blast. My timing and fitness are way off but after a couple hours the timing started coming back. Two and a half hours was enough. Right now my back is really sore but it's a good sore (I hope)! While I was laid up I did the lubing, put new Dunlop tires on it and cruised the internet buying all kinds of goodies for it. I got the PC pipe and silencer, fork and shock springs, pipe guard, everything but a skid plate, but I left it stock. And after riding it stock and being totally impressed by it's prowess i'm going to put the fork springs in it and leave the rest stock for the time being. Sorry so long, but it's great to be back and have a dirty bike for a change. :ride:

Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
What exactly do you guys mean by fusion? I recently had a titanium cage put into my back, and was thinking that might be similar to what was done to you guys. I made a post in the "riding techniques/injuries" section, that tells what happened, and I'd really appreciate it if you guys would fill me in on your experience. I've rode street since the op, but no dirt yet, soon hopefully. Just want to know what to expect.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
Josh, that's what I had done and they called it a fusion. The doc said it's now the strongest part of my back and right above and below are the weakest.
Taz, how long until the soreness is gone? Mine will be a year in July and I'm still always sore. I'm just going to take it easy, just trailride, stand up a lot to avoid the big hits and increase my saddle time gradually. Got some leg cramps in the middle of the night , YOW, forgot about those! :yikes:

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
"Got Vicodin" I've got arthritis in my lower back & get the F$%KING pain down my leg. I have found that the muslces get a work out, become stronger and the pain subsides with it. Wear your Kidney Belt or back brace and work your pace up. My doc told me take Motrin before the ride and your muscle soreness will be less. First thing I do before the ride n it works. A couple of Vicodin don't hurt either
TTFN :aj:

Tazmanian

Jan 11, 2005
Knobbyjake----My lower back surgery took around 18 months to get over-- it took me out of work 5 months three months after surgery on mothers day my brother-inlaw brought over his klx 110 for the kids to ride I couldn't resist I put on my backbrace and climbed on. I hadn't rode much in 30 years but I'm hooked again. I'm a 49 year old kid spending alot on mods and always tinkering. Your as old as you act!!!

d rockwell

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2001
Getting Back On

You got it right! After I broke my leg in '94 my wife thought I was going to quit. I reminded her of two things. The first was "Life is for the Living!" & the second was "Life is not measured by the number of breaths your take, but by the number of times your breath is taken away!" Happy Trials....

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
Be careful taking meds before riding with an injury because you could be dulling pain that is there to tell you to take it easy and you could end up worse than expected.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom