Well, Pretty sure I found a major problem

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
I removed the exaust on my 81KDX 250 tonight just playing around and was able to move the piston slightly with my fingers, side to side.(bad thing) I will be rebuilding the top soon, but have a few questions. i was able to stick a magnet to the cyl wall so I don't know if that means the cyl is that Kawi electrofusion plating or not?? Will I be able to hone the cyl if its in good shape or will I need to get it replated. I haven't done a 2 stroke ever but feel confident in the process, Should i get a mechanic to do it, just to be safe?. I will measure everything and ask advice if I do it.Anyway folks any advice would be great. I guess theres no sense in putting my new reed valves in yet as I found the more major cause.
Thanks

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
If it's attracted to a magnet you have an iron sleeve - not the electrofusion bore. You'll need to get it bored & honed to fit the next size piston. Much cheaper than a replate job though.

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
Thanks alot for the input, I printed the 2stroke info from Gorr and read myself to sleep last night, I'm glad its a sleeve as well. Now I guess its time to save my little canadian Loonies

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
Honing?

Not to question your post but could I just hone the cyl and replace with proper size rings and piston, or would the cyl be in bad shape regardless of what it looks like to the naked eye.

yzkdx

Feb 19, 2004
for it being so old i could almost guarantee you it needs to be bored out. you need to check the measurements of the bore. you cant hone it and just put the next size piston in. it has to be bored to the right size to make sure its not oval shaped.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom