Well well well, look what we have here...

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Well after my battle with the nut, I finally got the top end off.
Took the jug off, got the piston off and looked at it. Hrm, not to bad, was scored on one side and the ring had almost been welded right into the skirt. So I look into the jug thinking the worst. The jug is fine, not one single scratch or mark anywhere. Now its really got me thinking. What made that mark on my piston? So I start playing with the powervalve, because... well its cool to see parts move around. And I notice that the powervalve rubbed against something cause the part closest to the piston is all mashed up. I'm thinking how the hell did the powervalve come in contact with the piston? After playing with the spring I figured it out. The powervalve snapped in two!! And thats what toasted my top end. This is the second time this has happened since I have been the owner of this bike. The powervalve was replaced by my mechanic 2 years ago along with the current top end. What would cause this thing to just snap in half? I use a quality premix/gas combo running at 40:1, so everything gets lubbed. I'm not about to replace this powervalve to have it just snap again, there has to be a reason why it broke. Eric? Rich? I'll take some pics of the powervalve and the piston, there has to be a reason for this...

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Not the answer I was looking for, but dammit does that suck! I'm wondering if I could possibly get the new powervalve cryo treated so it won't snap? There's gotta be something I, or a mechanic can do to remedy this problem. there's no point dropping in a $200 OEM part just for it to break. Maybe Eric can do some magic with his dremel...

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im not sure as to why the rms did this but i know of more than one person who has repeated problems-trouble is each time it damadged the piston as well:(

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That sucks Hucker. I never had a problem with my PV in my '92 RM but a friend at work had the same problem you had with his RM125. I have no idea why it happens.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Bad news. I've heard this is rare, when the valve breaks then drops into the path of the piston. I cannot remember if it is metal/casting fatigue or what. Eric?

Of the eight guys I've known who had RMXes, it hasn't happened to them, so I haven't a clue.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I'd love if Eric could give me some insight into why this happened. There's gotta be a reason for it...

Top Bottom