WER Steering damper

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I found a website for a WER steering stabilizer for my 2000 KDX200 for $323. Does anyone know of anywhere that I can get one cheaper?

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I also have one on my 2000 KDX 200. Coming from a bike without one, I love the thing. Seems to make a huge difference, but as mentioned earlier, only on certain terrain and at certain speeds. The faster you go, the better it works. If you crank it all the way tight, you can barely turn the wheel at all. My dad has the Scott steering dampner and for the extra money, I can't see the difference. Good luck with whatever you get!

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Yamadad said:
I had one and was not impressed. I'd look elsewhere if I were you.

Why?? What was it that you didn't like ??

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Thanks for the input, I am looking into kdxiowa's WER unit. I wouldn't imagine that there would be any problems purchasing a used unit, but should I spend the extra money and just get new?

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
bump...Would there be any forseeable problems purchasing a used WER steering damper? From how they work I can't see how there would be any problems but then again I've never owned one. Thanks for any input.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Bushings in the WER do wear but they can be rebuilt. Fluid should be changed periodically (maybe once per year).

I had a WER on two KDXs and thought it was a HUGE improvement. Go faster with more confidence and crash less. I have a Scotts now and IMO the WER works as well (I like the adjust on the fly capability of the Scotts, though, but its more expensive).

Every trail bike needs 3 things: Correct jetting, suspension set up properly, and a steering damper. Everything else is optional.

My last ride without a damper was over 10 years ago. I broke my collar bone in a crash that never would have happened with a damper. A damper is cheap compared to breaking your collar bone into 3 peices. It's a safety device and a performance improvement. Get one.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
If the deal on the used damper falls through on friday, then I will be ordering a new one on Saturday ;).

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
What is the function/effect a steering damper is supposed to have?

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Having your handlebars ripped out of your hands when your front wheel hits an unseen root, rock etc. Instead of the wheel deflecting fully to one side or the other from the root, rock etc., the damper keeps the front wheel more or less straight. It dampens the effect of the sudden wheel direction change.

Love mine, won't have a bike without one.

Mully

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Ah I see. But dang 300+ $'s. WOW.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
$300+ to possibly save yourself from a fall + the added benefit of going faster through various sections = A must have for anyone wanting to race in the woods.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
When I switch bikes with someone who does not have a damper, it's obivous what a huge benefit it makes. I vividly remember swapping bikes with someone right before we got onto a long straight road with lots of loose rocks of all sizes. I hated his bike on that stretch, and he bought a damper before his next ride.

It really helps in many types of sections. Sometimes its subtle, sometimes the improvements are dramatic. On rocky, rooted technical uphills - you are way more likely to stay in control and on the line you want. Very important when any mistake means failure. High speed whoops - the bike is way more stable. Where you normally would back down out of fear, you will still be in control.

In the tight stuff, when you get tired and lazy and don't have your weight forward, the front tire is far less likely to wash out or deflect. When you are riding aggressively, you have more margin for error as you can 'save' the bike much more easily.

As you can tell, I am a huge fan of dampers. Best thing since sliced bread.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
$300+ and you can keep it when you sell the bike and put it on your new bike. I run a WER on my KDX and I like it. I'm sure it has its problems and flaws, but it also has some bonuses (out of the way, down low).

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
I have a W.E.R. on my KDX as well. The Scott and GPR units are very nice, but (in my opinion) not worth the extra money on my KDX.

With the W.E.R., the front end no longer wanders in the deep sand. Tracking through the whoops is a much more controlable. Crossing ruts are no longer intimidating. It is so much easier to point your tire where you want it on those nasty rocky climbs when the front isn't constantly deflecting.

All the dampers are more than worth the expense. That comes with this sport. Try racing SCCA even at the amature level. Frisbee golf...now that's a cheap sport. :nod:

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
Saveaux, can you email me your shipping address to my work email account? I will fill out all the neccesary info and get the weight for shipping costs at the same time.

DS

dirtbikr99

Nov 21, 2002
I LOVE my new used 99 cr250, I only had it for a week. But today i was at the track and the thing gets alot of headshake, I feel I would be able to go alot faster with a dampener. I will be looking into the options. wer units r universal for all bikes??

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
dirtbikr99 said:
I will be looking into the options. wer units r universal for all bikes??

Just like Version 1 GPRs and the Scotts, the W.E.R can be moved from bike to bike. However, you will need the bike specific mounting kit.

Whoops and crossing ruts will be much more manageable with a damper. A damper will also help with "headshake". However, an out of true/damaged rim, loose spokes, worn front wheel bearings, or worn/loose steering head bearings will cause "headshake". Make sure there is not a mechanical reason for the "headshake" before adding a damper.

Later
Robb

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Glad that you guys got the deal done on the used one...you will love it. I was just going to chime in that my first crash was gnarly and it was caused by hitting a lateral root and the front wheel washing out. If I had the dampner, that would never have happened. I will not ride a bike without one anymore after that crash. Enjoy!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…