Update on Steering Dampers please

r.2 stroke

~SPONSOR~
Dec 29, 2001
Hi,i've been looking at some older threads on Steering Dampers,and wondered if anyone had some new-ish feedback on the two most preferred brands,WER and Scotts.I had heard that Scotts where now made in China,and were a bit suspect as far as quality nowadays,and that comes from our local Ohlins agent.I dont have a preference for either...but looking to get one shortly.
Thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Had them both. The both work great.

Scotts can be adjusted on the fly. WER mounted more out of the way, so less likely to hurt you if you smash your chest into the bars.

With the WER, you tend to find a happy setting and leave it. If you know the next trail will be high speed whoops, you can stop and tighten it up some from your single track setting. But if you are in unknown terrain or don't want to stop, you just leave it.

With the Scotts, it's easy to experiment and move it a few clicks as the trails change.

I'd give a slight advantage to the Scotts for the on the fly adjustability, but the WER also works great. With either one, you will crash less and have much more confidence in the bike.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I have steering dampers on each of my three dirt bikes.
Sometimes I wonder why I even went to the trouble and expense......

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, some bikes benefit more from a damper than others.

My KDX's got big gains. My last ride without one I broke my collar bone in a crash that I probably would have saved with a damper.

My '02 KTM can get by fine without a damper.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I decided I needed one after about the 3rd time I had the bars slap the tank and send me flying in the opposite direction of the bike. It really does help. They should not be used as a bandaid for improper suspension setup though.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I had a WER on my yami 250f and I would like to sell it, the major disadvantage is you have to cut up your number plate or headlight shroud to make room for the linkage...

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
try an RTT I had one on a yz250 and worked great and it also comes with an adjuster that mountes on the handle bars to adjust without stoping you just control it with your tumb. The price is a little high but is worth it.

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
$$$$$$$$ ????

sr5bidder said:
I had a WER on my yami 250f and I would like to sell it, the major disadvantage is you have to cut up your number plate or headlight shroud to make room for the linkage...

How much are you asking for your used WER sir ??

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Papakeith said:
take them off and go for a spin. That should answer your question.
I rode the bikes for almost a year each before putting dampers on them, and I'm aware of the effect the dampers had on each one.
That's why I ask myself the question "why"....

Top Bottom