canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Does anyone run theirs tight enough to feel when twisting the bars lock to lock (front wheel preferably off the ground)?

Yeah. I know what 'they' say about that.

For those that CAN feel it, do you notice any difference side to side?

I'm wondering if mine is 'normal' (sure doesn't seem so) or not.

No. An oil change made no difference whatsoever.

Thanks!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I tend to run mine on the lighter side (less damping), but with the bike on a stand, front wheel off the ground, full damping (dial turned all the way in), I can definitely feel the effect of the WER going stop-to-stop.

FWIW....

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
No, the damping action feels the same/equal going from center to left stop, and from center to right stop.

Answer your question?

FWIW, My WER is less that 1 year old, and only has about 700 miles on it.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I run mine 3/4 turn out from full in. Side to side off the ground while on the stand, full in (full effect) it definately has more resistance turning to the right (throttle) side. I checked to be sure cables are not hanging up. With 2 turns out, I don't notice any difference side to side.
I bought mine used but recharged the oil less than 150 miles ago. I didn't notice it when I first put it on, but then I wasn't looking for it either. Off the bike and before I installed it, I didn't notice any difference. Now I do. More resistance to the right, definately.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks.

Tim @ WER responded right quick to my question to him regarding service on the unit. He did say that resistance should be the same from side to side (that seemed a given to me..but 'ya never know until you ask).

If I can get the unit 'fixed' while it's still under a year old, it will cost a whole lot less ($29).

By the way, he also said, 'The important thing is how effective it is in terms of
preventing front wheel deflection. Feel and effect are two different
things.'

I agree with that. That was the basis of the inquiry in the first place...the effect of the unit is not satisfactory. I couldn't care less what it 'feels' like. If I didn't feel a thing, that would be just fine with me! ;)

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Gentlemen,

My WER was doing the same exact thing that you are describing. I thought that I may have a defective unit. At the time it was still under warranty so I sent it to WER. They tested it and assured me that the unit was in perfect working order. They theorized that the stem bearings may be shot, resulting in a "different" feel when turning the bars away from center. I didn't really buy that. In an effort to appease me, they rebuilt the unit and changed the fluid anyway.

I guess I've taken their word on it. But I'm still not completely convinced that the thing is working "normally". If you can feel it when the bars turn one way but not the other, how can it work both ways in while riding?

If I still doubted that it was working normally, WER suggested I test it myself. They said find a rocky, heavily rooted trail and ride through it. Then, disconnect the link arm then ride the trail again. They practically guaranteed that I would feel a big difference.

Still, the fact remains the same (for me anyhow). I definitely feel more damping action when turning the bars to the right, bike on a stand, adjustment all the way in.

Ciao,
Chuck

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Man..this is starting to develop a bad smell.

There was also a suggestion regarding stem bearing tbl in the email from WER. Certainly, that would cause a problem. Just as certainly, mine don't have a problem.

Part of my concern is the observation of other riders, towit: 'Your damper isn't working.' And, when I ride a bike with a scotts damper, the presence of the damping action is quite obvious. No, I'm not talking about 'feeling' anything. I'm referring to damping effect. The scotts tracks straight and true.

Still, the 'disconnect and re-ride' is a good idea. Something I realize I should have already done....but I have not.

ChuckyB: Would be interested what you find out from a 're-ride' on your bike. Gonna do one?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Another good thread started by your observation CC. I love mine and even though it drags a little more on the right than left, it is doing what it is supposed to do, so I guess I'm happy. Please follow up when you get your unit back and if you notice performance changes. BTW, the thing works so that I don't notice any effect.....until I disconnected it. Now that I know what it is doing for my riding, (I just thought I was getting better), I would not ride without one any more than I would ride without my helmet.
Here was my test: A road that used to be a dry river bed of smooth rocks from softball size to small watermelon size. I deliberately tried to hit the larger rocks less than square on; just pointed it straight and go, no dodgeing anything. I didn't even need to grip my bars tight while in high 3rd, low 4th gear. Removed the unit and tried it again. It was like wrestleing an aligator. As the front would deflect, the rear would try and side hop and I would have to back off on the throttle and start picking a line or focus on hitting the bigger rocks square on.

Last edited:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Also: brand new bearings...hell brand new front end. I have the KX125 setup up front so bearings are not the issue with mine. Besides when I set the WER to 2 turns out. (off) I didn't notice a drag to the right.

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
I put a WER steering dampener on my old RMX and I definately felt a difference. If I turned my up too high you could feel the steering get heavy and it seemed to want to over steer.
If it feels like your bike turns harder to one side than the other you might want to check your cable routing, Dealers don't always get that right.
Also I believe the way you mount it and adjust the turnbuckle will have an effect on it. I would also recommend repacking you steering head bearings before installing a steering dampener.
If I was going to put one on my KTM I would buy the Scotts or the other one that is like a Scotts, because you can adjust them on the fly for faster and slower sections. I think that would be handy.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Before I mounted my WER, turning the arm by hand gave a very noticeable internal "squishing" noise -- like there was some air in there also going through the valving. Has anyone noticed this ?? I opened it up and forced 5W through it but saw no bubbles emerge. Maybe just cavitation of the oil.

On one of my first rides with it installed, I was having an incredibly difficult time of it - had to constantly keep fighting it. Later I remembered that I'd set it at max [full in] damping so turned it out 2 full turns [off, according to WER's manual] This helped immensely - I now run it around 1 turn out. It appears that over damping can be as bad as no damping. Mine feels the same going right or left.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Squishing? Heard the same thing. Betcha it's just normal "cavitation".

I also wish I could adjust the damping on the fly. For the kind of riding I do, "set it and forget it" just doesn't do it. Having it dampen more than 1 turn in during the 1st-2nd gear twisty stuff is a bear. You're fighting it to the point that it's dangerous. Suddenly you're in a 4th gear plus section, and could take more damping.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I too remember that squishing sound but didn't think anything of it. I started at 1 turn out as well, but didn't think it was enough. (I was still crashing and had to blame it on something other than my talent, or lack thereof) so I cranked it one more little tab. (1/4 turn). Then I knew it was working, gained more confidence, and started riding faster. BTW I find it doesn't work as well going slow or on slow delfections as much as on faster, edgier stuff.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
I think Skip is right on the money when he says that speed makes a difference. I vaguely remember something in the WER manual about a "speed sensitive input".

If on a stand, speed equals zero, then it would make sense that the damping feel would be different (on a stand) than when riding...granted. I just think the "feel" would be same no matter which side the bars turned, either right or left.

When I stated my case with the folks at WER, this how they defended their product. Something to the effect, "you can't judge how a product is going to perform on the trail by what it does or does not do on a stand". That’s definitely a valid argument.

Once the temps down here get back into the double digits I'll try the disconnect test. It's unbearably hot. I hope you guys in the cooler climes realize how fortunate y'all are.

Later,
Chuck

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
This is from the manual.
The damper is very sensitive to input speed,so sensitive in fact that it's nearly impossible to detect the offroad damper is installed when the bike is on a stand and you turn the bars(this is normal).This input speed sensitivity allows full maneuverability without excess friction or excess damping.

This is exactly how mine feels.On the stand you wouldn't know it's there.It moves the same from center in both directions....smooth .I wondered until i read that above paragraph because on my scotts i can feel it on the stand.

Input speed means how hard a shot the front wheel takes right,the harder the shot the faster the input speed to the damper is?Regardless,all systems are go with mine and i know for sure mine works how it should when i hit stuff.Something sounds funny about the descriptions i hear from some of you on this issue?

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I can't feel mine on the stand either, unless I really jerk the handlebar to a side. And it is the same both ways.
I think mine works, as I had to ride a few miles without it due to loosing a bolt on the connecting rod...what a difference that was.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
i got a question for all wer users, do you get any headshake anymore? i do unless the damper is turned fully on.(but that seems to sacrifice turning quickly) should i try backing it off a 1/4 of turn at a time or something till i find the sweet spot?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
That squishing sound can certainly be air. When changing the oil in mine, following the 'rules' and all, I ended up with none-a-that noise.

re: adjusting on the fly
While certainly not when @ WFO, I generally change mine on the fly. Just lean forward, reach under the bars and tweak it. That's been dicey a time or two...but I haven't kilt myself yet.

Cooler climes? Like the wet pacific northwest? Where one of the premier riding areas was open for all of three weeks inbetween 'too wet' and 'extreme fire danger'? Cripes! One week some trails were impassable due to snow..two weeks later the whole area was closed.

Gee...'ya think there might be some political-ness going on? Oh yeah!!

re: headshake anymore?

Nope.

But then, I didn't have any before, either. That IS one of the basic benefits of a stabilizer though...elimination of headshake.

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I can feel it only if I move the bars really fast. The wiper is this thing is a wear part and the feel of the damper will change if you let it go too long. I used to wonder what it was doing for me until the weekend I rode while the damper was out being serviced. Yikes! My own personal preference is to rebuild it once a year.

Part of what I like about the WER is the no-damping-on-return-to-center characteristic which works really well on singletrack. I’ve had a lot of saddle time with a Scotts lately, and it often feels like I’m fighting the damper when the trail gets tight.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I read an inference that scotts does damp return to center?

It doesn't. WER makes a big deal of the 'no damp to center' thing like they are somehow special in that way. They aren't.

Time flies. Turns out my WER has been on more'n a year. Guess I'll be getting a kit and refurbishing mine. Those kits are available for do-it-yourselfers?? I need to look into that.

Doesn't seem reasonable that after slightly longer than a year in use and the thing has such a problem (not the same left/right). The fact that that issue seems rather common is even more disconcerting.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks.

I asked (email) the WER folks.....haven't heard back yet.

What does it contain? The noted teflon wiper, check valves (probably steel balls?)..everything but the body and the main shaft?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
They do have a rebuild kit. It’s listed in the manual on page 13 (part 01-063). I think I found it once on the website, but navigation is inconsistent there. I’m not sure about price. I confess, I don’t know as much about the Scotts internals, but the two dampers each have their own feel. I always seem to more aware of the Scotts when things get tight and twisty. The WER seems to have smoother transition from damping to no damping. The Scotts has a bit more of an on-off feel at the transition point – but I admit that I have not fully explored all the adjustment possibilities of the sweep valves.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
CC,

If you end up rebuilding your own, please post back as to the results. (i.e. elimination of the left/right issue.)

BTW, mine was rebuilt by WER (still under warranty) but the issue persists. Go figure.

Ride on,
Chuck

Top Bottom