canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The rebuild kits come in two flavors, with and without main shaft. '$64.95 with a new centershaft or $43.95 without,' says tim @ wer.

Also of note, 'If there is a problem with the check valves you will have
to send it in to us. This is not a user serviceable item, other than
cleaning them out with contact cleaner and making sure the balls move
freely.'

There should not be a left/right difference. Again, wer says that such an occurrence is likely do to cables, bearings or mechanical advantage issues.

The third one I wonder about. The damper is setup such that there is the same angle of change when turning left/right. Granted, nothing is 'in line' with the stem, but it's @ 90º to it, and straight ahead the arm is 90º to the bike's long axis. I don't see that there is such an mechanical advantage problem.

The left/right thingy seems to be quite common, though. There's sumthin' up with that....don't know what.

I can feel the difference when I hold the unit in my hand, so any of the cable/bearing/mechanical mount discussion points are moot.

As I recall, the scotts has both a low and high speed circuits, both adjustable. Additionally, the arc of effect is adjustable, too. Probably more fandangles than necessary to control fork deflection. Them fandangles cost some $$, too!!

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
For the first time since I have owned my bike (last fall) I figured a dampener would have been useful. I went on a 130km run to a friends camp on Saturday, stayed overnight and then back on Sunday. There were alot of stretches that were 6th gear WOT, since most of my biking experience was trail riding the fork movement was unexpected and a bit scary at first but easily overcome by pride and lack of common sense as I twisted the throttle and hung on...

I still can't imagine paying that much money for a dampener but if so many people have them and are happy then maybe I am missing out? Maybe I should just weld the old hatch back shocks on either side of the old KDX :)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by canyncarvr
The rebuild kits come in two flavors, with and without main shaft. '$64.95 with a new centershaft or $43.95 without,' says tim @ wer.

Also of note, 'If there is a problem with the check valves you will have
to send it in to us. This is not a user serviceable item, other than
cleaning them out with contact cleaner and making sure the balls move
freely.'

The main shaft has a rod with a teflon sleeve sticking out at right angles - a.k.a. the wiper. WER sends you back the old one when you have them rebuild your damper. It is this teflon wiper sleeve that seems to be the wear point. I have never understood why they have to replace the entire center shaft when all you really need is a new teflon sleeve. The cost of having WER rebuild it (~$80) is close enough to the kit price (~$65) that I just send the unit off.

As to “user serviceable”, if the thing is not working right I don’t think you have much to lose by disassembling it and having a look for yourself. You could get lucky and spot the problem and fix it. The worst that can happen is that you can’t fix it, so you put it back together and ship it off for a rebuild. – which you’re probably going to do anyway if you’re not happy with how it’s working.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom