Ecsk8er00

Dec 31, 2005
ive been lookin to buy a pitbike and i cant decide of i want a XR, SDG, or what?
i need a bike that has a clutch, can pull the front wheel off the ground easy, and get me enough spped to hit some jumps on a 50 track

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
See the snake head logo to the left? Click it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've got an SDG and a PitViper...
Want a real opinion or something like rmrider125 posted?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
PatrickBarnett said:
Is it my computer that won't let me see it because I don't see any Viper logo.
Anyways the website is pitvipermx
They make awsome bikes!!!!
it is right between the service honda and the eric gorr logos

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I have an SDG and did some test riding for Pit Viper. If there is a power advantage I don't know who gets the nod. To me the SDG feels snappier but the PV feels like it has more torque. In a drag race with 2 big fat fellas it is a coin flip as to who wins. Rear suspension on the PV is a LOT better than the SDG. The front suspension on the SDG is marginally better than the PV (neither are great). Finsh out is the SDG strong point. It comes really tight almost Honda quality fit and finsh. Even has decent grips. The PV is not quite as polished but not far off.

You should note that the PV that I test rode was a prototype. My feedback went to the owners and I have been told that areas of concern have been addressed. In all honesty, for the money I would go with the Pit Viper even if it was the prototype that I rode. For the money saved you can put new grips and graphics on it and have quite a bit left over.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Just so everyone is clear... everything that was commented on regarding the first batch of prototype Pit Vipers has been addressed with significant improvements. No excuses just the facts, Thump and the other test riders we worked with were asked to be totally and brutally honest when helping us develop our bikes because we wanted to know what to improve. The bike that Thump rode had a undersized carb (16mm) and small diameter thick wall chrome plated head pipe, the production bikes have 22mm Mikuni carbs and the head pipe is 75% larger & made of thinner wall stainless steel. The front suspension on the prototype PV's was way too heavy (steel) and not the greatest action, a totally different fork is now standard which is lighter and LOTS better action. We even went ahead and improved the rear suspension with an adjustable shock and progressive spring just because we wanted it to be better than the prototypes. Fit and finish is also better but we'll still keep working to improve because our grips still suck but we're looking in to alternatives. At the time 10" rims were standard pit bike issue and the prototype had a 10" rear and 12" front, we switched to 12" front and rear which made a big improvement in stability.

We really are trying to offer products every bit as good as the established big names at a very competative price and then have parts available from our warehouse in the USA to support our dealers and customers in a manner that may not be very familiar to most mini buyers. We've got some other really cool stuff on the boards as well and if any Pit Viper owner has comments to help improve our product they have a method of contacting the people at the top of the PV food chain directly and will get a personal response.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Patman said:
We really are trying to offer products every bit as good as the established big names at a very competative price and then have parts available from our warehouse in the USA to support our dealers and customers in a manner that may not be very familiar to most mini buyers. We've got some other really cool stuff on the boards as well and if any Pit Viper owner has comments to help improve our product they have a method of contacting the people at the top of the PV food chain directly and will get a personal response.
There you have it. One more reason I would go PV if I was in the market for one. Pat really did tell me to tell it like it is and not to hold back because he wanted to address these areas BEFORE it got into production. From what I hear they have all been addressed. Customer service and parts availability is going to go a long way for PV too.

Like I said, if the PV was available when I bought my SDG, even if only available in prototype trim like I test rode, I would have gotten the PV and saved a LOT of money. There is just not that big of a difference to justify the cost. And the PV has better suspension!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The MSRP of the aluminum frame ProViper is $3199 and the MSRP of the MX125 is $2299. Final pricing as with all bikes sold through dealerships is set by the dealer, I suggest you contact Service Honda.

Basic run down for both bikes:
-125 / 4 speed / manual clutch / start in gear engine
-stainless exhaust
-12" wheels front & rear
-hydraulic disc brakes with braided steel lines front and rear
-USD long travel fork
-adjustable, nitrogen charged rear shock with progressive spring
-CRF plastic

Top Bottom