taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Okay, there are two excellent deals in front of me for a new 450, one is for a YZF and the other for a CRF, and my buy price is literally $100 apart between the two machines.. :think:

I have raced cross country for three years on a YZ426F, and I have invested in allot of trick parts for the 426 that will cross over to the new YZ450F, Black Rim's & Hubs, custom triple clamps and Scott's steering stabilizer, etc, etc, you get the picture....

Regardless of the bike I own, I am going to start racing motocross primarily with a few cross country races thrown in the mix.

I've ridden both the CRF & YZF 450 fairly aggressively and although they are very different machines, I would be very happy with either one. :)

I don't want to start a "This bike is better than that bike debate" I want to know what are some of the disappointments you have had with either the 03 CRF or YZF? Stuff like the early YZF grenaded their clutches? CRF has to have it's oil changed after every ride? (I just heard that, never confirmed it) Anything like that would be helpful.

B

biglou

I'd say for your crossover parts, go blue. Other than that, it's a coin toss. I thought the YZ's had a bit more punch in the midrange (stock, compared to stock CRF-no pipe, etc.). Seems like I read about the CRF head core being much cheaper than the YZF, too. $270 vs. $750, or somewhere thereabouts. Hopefully that won't be an issue with your new bike, though! On a related note, my buddy Al (Agent Orange), jumped on a CRF at our local area and I followed him over to the practice track. That was his first ride on the CRF, and it was like he was on a rail. I could not catch him. He was impressed with the cornering, to say the least. Both bikes feel considerably lighter than the 426, with the CRF getting a slight nod from me, even if it is just perceived lightness! As for oil changing, the YZF has three or four drains now, instead of two. Not sure about the CRF. I change my oil much too often, btw. Every couple tanks of gas is my interval. But that's just me! Be sure to take some pics, whatever you decide to get. :thumb:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I bet the happy button would come in handy in the few offroad events you enter. The CRF looks cooler though ;)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
You can guess what I'd pic :)

Honestly, I've ridden the YZ450 and it is an awesome machine and great on an MX track. However, if you do any woods riding it may be a handful for you unless you are a more experienced rider. I personally prefer the CR.

Ivan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Oh duh! Your looking at YZF not WRF :confused: OK so that makes it a bit easier. Go red. The YZF is a 4 speed and the CRF is a 5 speed, I bet the additional gear will make the CRF more plesant in the trees. Also in looking at the specs it looks like Yamaha did a major effort on making the engine lighter. I'd be concerned about durability of these lightened pieces. The aluminum frame is just plain neat and then you and Twinkie could change names :)

Wladi

Jan 10, 2003
The YZ450F is great, the CRF450 is greater. There must be a reason why the CRF450 earned the "Bike of the year" award twice in a row and that since it exsists!!!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Wladi
The YZ450F is great, the CRF450 is greater. There must be a reason why the CRF450 earned the "Bike of the year" award twice in a row and that since it exsists!!!

The YZ450F and the CR450F are both great bikes. Neither one is much better than the other empiracly. It is just a matter of personal preference.

Don't forget that Cannondale won "Bike of the Year" as well before it even existed. BotY awards do not mean much. Seat of the pants experience from those who own the bikes and ride them year round is where you will get your best information.

Magazines are for pictures and 2 month old news.

Ivan

smithers

May 9, 2003
I wanted to get a Yamaha because thats what I always rode but honda gave me a better deal on my '03 CRF. I like the bike allot except the front suspension beats the crap outa me..other than that...great bike!

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Wow, I can't believe people like the Honda's that much. Just seems like you don't see as many of them around here. I thought my decision was strictly YZF and WRF, but maybe now I've gotta include CRF in that process. I do like the Yammie dealer near me much better than the Honda dealer that's the same distance. That might be a difference maker for me...

Top Bottom