nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
Im getting a new bike this year ..my current bike is a twice bored over yamaha IT465... Its time for something new! I LOVE the feel of the big bore two stroke, but the 450 is also intriging. I ride HUGE hills, sandy dry river washes, two track and single track, and fireroads. Big surprise gulleys are also part of the equation. Steering with the rear tire is my normal riding style. What I dont want is a high strung race bike, or a boring enduro. Any one have experince on both these bikes???

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
to add actaul riding experiences....riding here in the eastern Nevada mountains this past year......2-3 hours per day, 4-5 days a week, every imaginable terrain. No motocross, just trail riding.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Personally I think if you like big bores, and you have deep pockets I'd go with the Cr500AF. I understand sometimes you can find them for sale used sometimes as well. A Crf is a nice idea as well though. I do have to say though that its not up to the same "pull you off the back of the seat" power as an open class two-stroke, but the Crf will tire you out less. I think it really boils down to how much maintnance you want to have to put into it. If you want one out of the two with lower maintnance I'd pick the Cr500. Also are you completely ruling out a std. Cr500? I understand they're awsome machines as well. Its just not going to have the "modern" ergonomics of either the AF or the 450F.

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
thanks flyan...i havent ruled out the idea of the standard cr500r either. But modern ergos are a huge factor in my wanting a new bike. I do thank you for the observation of the 450 being less "tiring"; I ride for long periods (70-90 miles in a day not being unusual), but the maintainance of that bucket -and -shim valvetrain seems a bit excessive. Especially for the sheer amount of riding I do in the summers when I am off work. I guess I really am looking for one bike to do it all....trails, hills, thrills....and mile long wheelies;)

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
Go with a standard CR500R and get the motor worked on by E. Gorr and have the suspension revalved for offroad by J. Wilks. I have this exact setup on a 96CR5. You will rarely lack for power or suspension with this setup. I read somewhere that the stock CR5 was actually more comfortable offroad riding than the AF.

The CR5 is a BEAR to kick over after Eric removes the compression relief grooves in the cylinder. Luckily mine normally fires up after a couple of kicks unless I've dropped it and flooded the engine. Also mine NEVER fouls plugs. Set aside a good budget for rear tires.

Other benefits of the big CR over the CRF:
Much cheaper (and probably fewer) overhalls.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
'Modern' style and comfort for your riding style are mutually exclusive. You need something with a big, soft seat and lots of power. I don't think you'll be happy, with your experience, with anything other than an open class 2 stroke. :) I know I'm not, although a KTM 525 mxc/exc would be very, very nice.

If you want the ultimate in reliability, you can't go wrong with a big bore 2 stroke. I can't break mine. If you want the added stability at speed, the KX is known better for your type of riding. I've got a Scott's stabilizer on mine, and I dial it up for river beds. I kid you not, you can let the handlebars go at 80 in a dry sandbed and be fine. It's like a Cadillac through sand washes. A damn bear around the track, though.

Power is a bit more linear with the KX, since you mentioned not wanting a strung out motor. But the 4 strokes are nice, too. I just don't think a 450F would be your best choice.

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
"you can let the handlebars go at 80 in a dry sandbed and be fine."

You REALLY don't want to try that with a stock CR as they are prone to violent headshake on washboard surfaces. Jeremy's suspension work helped to calm my bike down although I would like to have a steering damper as well.
BTW: The big CR (and I image the big KX as well) make excellent trail bikes after you learn to control the throttle.
As for power mine will pull a third gear start in soft ground without bogging the engine but I have to let off after 20 yards since there is no way to keep the front end down! I'm guessing mine is good for around 85 mph with stock gearing but I wouldn't want to run it there for long.

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
Nephron,
Have you ridden a CRF, YZF, and or CR500? I'd be interested in your comparison of horsepower and handling of these machines.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
KTM 300exc ? Good for enduro, but definitely not boring. Light weight and Rips when you get into the throttle. Something to consider....

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
I definitley like KTM's..but the 300 exc is 176 cc smaller than my current two stroke...thats enough for a whole nother engine and bike!! lol....seriously though..i have read the 300 is hitless and smooth...im looking for a thrill bike..i already have a TT600 for the rides with the family, new visitors to the area, etc. The new bike is for thrills, plain and simple. I want somethin that will yank on my arms, get my adreniline pumping to the max..and set my hair on fire as i blast across the dessert!!! the bige bore two stroke fans are winning me over...now it seems i may choose between the steel framed cr500r, the trick-as-hell cr500af, or the still in showrooms kx500, well ive had much tougher decisions in my lifetime!!! you guys have all been great..thank you for the advice..ill let ya know what i finally bought.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
FWIW--I thought long and hard, the other day, about buying an off the showroom floor leftover 01CR500, breaking it down and recrating it. The way bikes are going these days, those things are going to be rare as hens teeth someday.

I think the KX500 will be around for a while, or at least until Kawasaki builds a big thumper that's got enough power and is as reliable (good freakin' luck ;) ), because the desert guys are still buying them.

magneto--comparisons like that are fraught with personal taste, style and butt dyno interpretation problems. The closest 'like' of the 4, are obviously the two 500 2 strokes. You couldn't go wrong with either, and the differences b/t these bikes has been discussed before. The thumpers are just totally different types of bikes.

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
After all was said and done.....I have decided on the 04 crf450r...so many improvements on a bike so close to perfection......after riding an 03 crf, I know it will smoke my old 81 IT 465 yamaha 2 stroke and my 83 yamaha TT600 thumper. I rode a friends kx500 yesterday..and although its a really fast bike (much faster than i expected, and i expected A LOT), its not what im looking for in my first brand new bike. The smoothness and ease of power delivery of that crf won me over. What a bike. I guess at 38, Im gettin to old to want to wear myself out with two stroke power characteristics. Again, thank you to all those who responded.

Top Bottom