What bike for a 40 something beginner?

roadglide

Dec 13, 2007
I like cheap but I want to make sure I can putt around with my son and not have to get on the bike hard . I am being told to make sure to stick with a 4 stroke. is that the case? I found a steal on a 2001 KDX 220 what do you think

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I would go for eaither bike. The DRZ400 is a little harder to ride in tight trails due to the weight but still a good bike.

Actually, the DRZ-400 is only a few pounds more than a CRF-450x or WR-450.

The DRZ-400 got a reputation for being heavy when every one else was riding 215lb 2 strokes. Suzuki does list its weight (the 400e model) at 265lb. Which is only 5 more than a XR-400. But the DR has liquid cooling and e starting, plus it's more powerful than a XR-400, so there's no comparison.

But beyond all that, it's a great trail bike. Smooth power and very reliable.

Now, I cannot even begin to count the number of times when I caught up to a guy on the trail riding a 450 something following Jr. who's actually riding a pw or crf 50. Honestly, it had to suck for both. Because pop's is stuck in first and slowly burning up the clutch while Jr. is getting the brunt of the 450's exhaust note.

So in your case (and a couple others), do yourself and Jr. a favor and stay away from any moto bike. If he's going to be on a Honda 50, then get a CRF-230 or 250x. Or if you get him a PW-50, then a TTR-225/250 or maybe even a WR-250 would be a good choice. And if he's big enough for a DRZ-70 (now with electric starting!) then consider a DRZ-250.

That way you'll start bonding with Jr. right away, because "he rides the same bike as dad!" And at that point your really starting to build a father son relationship that many of us only dream about having.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
roadglide said:
I am 40 and looking to buy a bike to ride around with my son who is 6 whom I have just purchased a Xr50 . I have looked at a ton of stuff and found several options like all the ones you guys are recommending but was wondering about the CRF 230 . I weigh in around 200lbs at 5 ft 11. Will this bike support my needs around the trails and also enough to raise a little hell with the buddies

Yes a CRF-230 will be fine. And a used XR-250 would be even better (and cheaper).

Jan 3, 2007
I still think the DRZ400E weighs alot in comparison to a 2008 husqvarna TXC450 or KTM 450 XCR-W at 338lbs. Those bikes with oil, fuel, and coolant would weigh the same as a dry DRZ400E. I would say go for eaither the KDX or DRZ because they are local. Test both of them and see witch one you like.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I still think the DRZ400E weighs alot in comparison to a 2008 husqvarna TXC450 or KTM 450 XCR-W at 338lbs. Those bikes with oil, fuel, and coolant would weigh the same as a dry DRZ400E. I would say go for eaither the KDX or DRZ because they are local. Test both of them and see witch one you like.

I respectfully disagree on that. Full of fluids and no gas, the off-road DRZ-400e should tip the scales at around 275. And because the gas tanks all hold different volumes, this is the only fair way to do it.

That model was discontinued for 2008, to make room for the yet to be released RMX-450 ~ or so the story goes. If your looking at the DRZ-400s or DRZ-400sm, those are both street legal models, and they might hit the scales at that. But those also have steel gas tanks, blinkers and emission controls. All of which are mandated for street legal use.

Beyond that most all magazines agree that the DRZ holds it's weight in a way that makes it feel far lighter than what it actually is. Also, the DRZ is know for being a very reliable bike with a solid resale. So you should be able to enjoy many trouble free rides and then pass it on to the next guy so that he can too.

Jan 3, 2007
Well, one thing is for sure and its that the DR-Z450 is nice. My dealer sent me a concept pic and if its anything like the production bike its gona be nice.

P.S. cant show the pic. Sorry!

Top Bottom