Help What bike should I get for a beginner?

Justin891

Jun 25, 2022
I'm looking for a bike thats good for my weight and height also need one that I can get my hands on in the uk considering I can't get bikes like crf230f In the uk from what i've searched anyways.

1) Your physical size = 5ft 7-8in. 215lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you? I'll be decently aggressive.

3) What do I plan to ride? Woods with friends and some trails

4) Do I have any riding experience: no

5) Do I think I will race: Most likely friendly races but not real tracks/competitive racing no.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes I will do my own bike work with some help

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice? Looking towards Honda, Yamaha. Mostly looking for a 2 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Not that I know of

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $1500

10) Your age? 13

11) Do you live in California? No, I live in the UK

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
At $1,500 your options will be limited. There are a lot of good used 125 two strokes that may be good but learning to ride on that could be tough. There are a lot of good entry level 4 strokes from Honda and Suzuki (like the DRZ line) that are beginner friendly but get limited if you want to get aggressive or jump.

At 5'7" and 215lbs no matter what you get you would need stiffer springs. Most full size bikes are sprung for someone 180 or below.

I had a DRZ250 that I really liked to play on at times. It wasn't as much fast as my race bike (YZ250F) but it was a lot of fun. Not a good jumper b/c it wasn't made for it but good for a weekend of trail riding.

Justin891

Jun 25, 2022
At $1,500 your options will be limited. There are a lot of good used 125 two strokes that may be good but learning to ride on that could be tough. There are a lot of good entry level 4 strokes from Honda and Suzuki (like the DRZ line) that are beginner friendly but get limited if you want to get aggressive or jump.

At 5'7" and 215lbs no matter what you get you would need stiffer springs. Most full size bikes are sprung for someone 180 or below.

I had a DRZ250 that I really liked to play on at times. It wasn't as much fast as my race bike (YZ250F) but it was a lot of fun. Not a good jumper b/c it wasn't made for it but good for a weekend of trail riding.
could I theoretically get any bike that I think i'll be comfortable on and just adjust the springs?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
You can but the is only so much adjustment. It will be rideable but depending on the riding you do it won't be as comfortable and a bit less safe.

Suspension is as much for safety as a better experience.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom