May 22, 2005
I've never own a dirt bike but have been riding street bikes for 5 years. I stopped riding about a year ago after a really scary accident and sold my bike. I'm desperately wanting to get back on two wheels but not on the street but on dirt. So anyways....I have no knowledge of this part of the sport, please help me.

-I'm 24 years old, 5-10 and weight about 178lbs
-I plan on using it for mostly riding with my brother in open areas, mostly for fun and play.
-I need something that doesn't need constant tweaking because I won't be riding much, again mostly for fun and play, so I'm guessing about 4-6 times a month, I'm mechanically inclined so that's not a matter in my case.
-My preferance in brand would be Yamaha or Honda, always owned Yamaha bike, and Honda cars.
-Now here is something I'm not sure about (2 or 4 stroke)? What exactly is the difference?
-Looking to spend no more then 3K

Again thanks for the help.

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
First, Congrats for gettin into dirt and youll find this site very helpful and comprehenisive.

When you choose a bike, engine size is a biggie. Your used to fourstrokes so u can compair your 600+ cc street bike to a 450cc dirt (thats the biggest yet still common size for a 4str.). 2str.s are a completely different animal. The power on a 4str. is spread out (as you know). On a 2str, the MX bikes (most common - Yama=YZ, Honda=CR) they'll have a 'hit' of power. For you this will take some getting used to (weighted flywheels will smooth the hit well).
Other big differences is:
2str.s are more popular (pre-2000ish)
2str. weigh less
2str. cost less (inital and repairs)
2str are easier to work on
4str have really good lowend power (tight trails)

Many are switching but most come back to a 2str

Now heres another concept:
A 250cc 4str = 125cc 2str

So based on your weight and experience, id recommend a 250 str (im the same height w/less experience and weight and have no problem) OR a 450 4-str (not too many on the used market and if ud find one, it would cost u).

As far as the 2 brands:
Yama - ppl rave about their performance
Honda - ppl love the quality and reliability
People will swear on either so ur pick
But Id go for a Honda CR 250

Now with that 3k, (i guess u could use ur street helmet) subtract the cost of the helmet...thats really all u need for 4-6 times (u could always get chest protector, gloves, boots but i doubt that for u itd be nessisary.)

As for years, search around for compaints etc for certain years (ie "1997 problem" or "1997 crap")

I think that a Honda CR 250 (2 str) would be perfect for u
tons of power, speed, durability

As for getting the bike, check out dealers used stock (ud pay more) or local newspapers, e-bay, online classifieds, and in our own F/S forum

Good luck finding a bike!! and if have ne more questions, dont hesitate

Brad

May 22, 2005
Wow didn't think I would get so much details, I really appreciate that man. So by what you wrote I'm leaning more towards the 2-str. Now when I said I was looking to spend only $3K that was strictly on the bike, I have about $600 for extras. My only question is what years should I be looking for? If I read your repsonse correct, all the good 2'str are before 2000, but then I read something about the 97's not being a good year? I did a search on the 2000 Honda CR 250 and it looks good and I did find one at half the price I'm looking to spend. I swear if I knew dirt bikes were this cheap compared to streets I would have been in this sport so long ago.

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
no no im sorry..when i refered to 1997 i was just using it as an example. Like if you were to find a 2002 forsale nearby, you would use those terms to see if that was a bad year or not. When i referred to 2000, i should have said 2003ish. thats when 4str dirtbikes started becoming popular. Some people love them others just keep it simple and stick to what they like. Idk of any CR years being bad. Search around the "what bike" forum and youll find alotta other opinions etc.

The difference between 'off-road' and 'mx' is a few things:
gearing might be different (more towards tight-stuff and control vs. speed)
might have a light system
might be easier to ride

In your situation either would be fine but before you purshase, think into the future. Will I be riding in sand dunes? Will I be going to the trail system down the road? These questions can effect your choice. But the benefit with an MX style bike is that theyres TONS of aftermarket add-ons. Ive got a RM and a KX. When they were orginally made, almost exactly the same. The RM is setup for speed where the KX is ment for trails and each does its job extremely well.

A few examples of MX models would be (other than CR and YZ);
KX kawasaki
RM suzuki
SX ktm

Offroad:
KDX kawasaki
EXC/MXC ktm
XR honda (chunky - not that fast and a 4str)
WR yama (new ones are nice)
RMZ suzuki

The MX will be more readily avalible where the 'off-road/trail' will be harder to find but still avalible. As far as price; if u wanted a extreme trail/woods bike id say go for KTM (already comes with anything ud want to be awesome for the trails) opposed to a KX where ur initially spending less but the cost will be equal after u install stuff to make teh kx as good as the ktm. BUT since ur not id say go for an mx.

ALSO when purchasing (in my experience and opinon) a used bike(yet still newer) is going to be alot better than a new (as long as the previous owners didnt beat the crap out of it) bike because it most likely will have performance upgrades that youd buy for a new bike but youll be saving a crap-load of money. A good way to tell if the bike has been beated in check the bolt heads. It theyre chewed up, its because the owner didnt use proper tools. This can point to other problems where the owner either didnt care or didnt know. Chances are the rest of the bike was beaten pretty good too.

Any more questions, dont hesitate or search around DRN
Cya Later

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom