exclipse

Aug 7, 2005
Starting MX on dirt, what bike do I get?

Hey, I'm Nick.. I'm new to MX, but I'm looking to start.

1) I'm 15 years old, 5 foot 8 inches, and about 130 lbs.
2) I'm pretty aggressive, I like jumps and speed. I'm used to quading with my 350 Wolverine.
3) Plan on riding dirt courses like Raceway Park and trails with my friends that we make ourselves.
4) I ride a 350cc Yamaha Wolverine quad, never riden an MX bike before. I have rode a mini motorcycle though and a goped. I'm not afraid of speed.
5) I may race, but not until I get good.
6) No, I will not be working on my own bike, my dad may be able to though.
7) Not sure of the pros/cons to 2 or 4 strokes. I'm open to any suggestions or information.
8) The dealer near me carries mostly Yamaha and Honda. Sure I could find a place for other bikes though.
9) I'd like to spend under 5,000$ total including everything I need.
10) I'm looking for any information that could help to me to form an opinion.

Thanks guys, Nick

Last edited:

n_w t_ b_kes

May 31, 2005
An older XR200 or 250 would be cheap and good for you as a beginner. If you want a new bike for cheap than get a 125 2-stroke (you can find them leftover for pretty cheap) but keep in mind that this isn't the best beginner bike.
2-stroke:Light, ALMOST twice the power, easy maintenance, cheap.
4-stroke:Heavier, older ones (such as XR's and the CRF trail bike line up) are reliable and the newer ones (racing 4-strokes) not as reliable, expensive to maintain and buy.

exclipse

Aug 7, 2005
my friend says to get an yz/cr 85 and that a 125 is gonna be too much power.. you think i should go with the 85? or will I be able to control the 125 at my size? plz help quick, cuz im looking to buy soon.

thanks, Nick

n_w t_ b_kes

May 31, 2005
With your size you could control a 125, it would just take a little getting used to. Don't get an 85 because it will feel small very quickly. Get a full size bike.

bike_rider250

May 6, 2005
an 85 you would be crambed. as far a 125 gonna be to much power and hard to control, its probly perfect just have to respect the power. I'm 5'7 weigh like 150 and ride a kx 250 so i think you will be fine you just got to get used to the bike

Top Bottom