What boots and chest protector to buy??

markbec1

Sep 6, 2005
Well it is time to buy a new pair of boots and a new chest protector. I first was looking at the Alpine star Tech 6 but when I tried on them a pair of tech 4 and a pair of Thore's I actually thought the tech 4's and the Thore's fit the most comfortable. Do I really need to spend the big money on the Tech 6 or would the less expensive boots hold up?
Also what chest protector do most people recommend I would love to be $100.00 or less but am willing to spend more it that is what it takes to get a good one.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Based on the bikes you have, you're probably gonna be riding a while? If so, don't skimp on the boots. I started with Thor's and I'm certain that had I been wearing the Sidi Force SRS I've got now, I wouldn't have broken the piss out of my ankle (talus). Cheap boots will screw you every time, and they'll be difficult to ride in 'to boot' ;) . I personally don't go big on the helmet--$150 Thor helmet is awesome, and if you buy a $400 Shoei and wreck, traumatizing the helmet, you've got to replace it. That's just how I see things. I may be wrong.

dnchevyman

Dec 27, 2005
i dont care for the alpine stars. i bought the Fox Trekker boots, they flexed MUCH better, and they are holding up fine, also a lot more comfortable for me. Go with whatever is comfortable. because cutting a day short becuase of baseball sized blisters sucks. me personally, i use a fox chest protector, comfortable to wear, dont even know its there.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The cheap Fox boots (Tracker) are terrible. I have Tech 6 boots and while I'm happy with them for the most part, the soles are terrible. Don't go cheap on protective equipment, you only have one body. For boots I would go with Gaerne SG-10. Yes, they are pricey, but what's more important, spending a couple hundred extra dollars on preventative gear or getting your ankle rebuilt after it's completely crushed?

As for a chest protector, I have a Fox Airframe and am extremely happy with it.

Last edited:

kawicam125

Uhhh...
Mar 14, 2006
i have expensive oneal boots and ive been fine so far. i just got a fox chest protector. going to try to ride with the chest protector at the end of this month at TNT. those oneal boots are thick and ive been well protected.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
i dont care for the alpine stars. i bought the Fox Trekker boots, they flexed MUCH better
I've found that some nice, old-school converse all-stars flex the best and are the most comfortable.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
lol @ Okie.

I've got a pair of MSR's that are on the cheap side, I think I paid about $140. In my opinion that are built pretty heavy, and I've done a good amount of riding in them with hardly any wear on them yet. Had them for a little less than a year. I'm much less concerned about longevity of my boot as I am about protection. $300 every now and then is much better than $30,000 to rebuild an ankle.

My next boot will be the Gearne SG-10.

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I just bought a pair of garne SG-10s. They are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.

markbec1

Sep 6, 2005
Thanks for the help I will probably end up buying higher end stuff just to be safe, it seems like it will be worth the money.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Okiewan said:
I've found that some nice, old-school converse all-stars flex the best and are the most comfortable.
:rotfl:

I've had two pairs of boots. Thor something or other... I forgot what they were, but I have small feet so they were kids boots and they sucked! I guess they make kids boots cheaper since kids grow out of them so fast.

Now I have a pair of Tech-8's...I LOVE THEM!!!! They flex "just enough" and they're extremely comfortable and easy to ride in, in my opinion. Plus, they come with the removable booty that you can wash and help keep the stank out of your boots.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I like my T8's but am very impressed with my son's Fox Forma Pro's as well. The Sidi's look nice too but I have no experience with them.

For a CP I find the Acerbis Zoom/Zoom 2 to offer the most overall protection in a very comfortable package.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I have Tech 6 boots now, but with all the rave reviews I've seen on the Gaerne SG-10s if I was buying today that is what I would buy.

Foot injuries blow, and not in a nice way. Trust me on that one. Been there, done that, got the titanium screws in my ankle to prove it. Good boots are worth it.

For a chest protector, I like the SixSixOne Pressure Suit. It might not have quite as much coverage as a regular chest protector, but it has integrated elbow pads and a back protector in it, giving it more overall protection in my view. They are a little on the expensive side, but I'd rather spend an extra $50 on gear and not go to the Emergency Room, or worse, the Trauma Unit.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I had a cheap-o pair of the Fly 808 boots I got for < $100... I am an avid harescramble racer and part time mx racer... I abused the heck out of those boots for 2 seasons and they are still useable, and my feet are still 100% healthy... I've hit them off trees, rocks, and everything else in between and they offered ample protection... I bought a more expensive pair of Thor boots (forget the model, but they were around the $200 mark) and totally destroyed them w/in 10 rides (smashed the toe guards and ripped the sole off)... I'm now using the fox tracker offroad boots because of the well treaded sole... So far so good... I crashed hard in them sunday when my bike slid into a tree (ankle was bashed between the bike and tree), and they protected me just fine... I don't believe that more $$ = better protection...

For chest/back protection, I am currently using a pressure suite under my jersey and am very happy with it... I like the feel better than the bulky over jersey protectors...

Top Bottom