What causes the kickstart to slip?

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
While I am in the process of rebuilding/restoring my KX 250, I am ordering several new OEM parts. My bike has always had a problem of the kickstart slipping. It's not like the splines are stripped, but more like a gear inside is stripped.
My friend's CR500 had the same problem, and we just replaced the big spring on the kick shaft. It worked for a while, but now the bike is doing it again. I want to fix mine right the first time, any help? Is it the ratcheting part that needs replacing?
Can someone tell me what part #'s I need, from my attached image?
Thanks.

Attachments

• kicker.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,542

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
PE175 said:
Is it the ratcheting part that needs replacing?

Thanks.

PE175.

Most likely the problem is with the ratchet gears or the spring that pushes them together. Pull it apart and inspect the tapered teeth on the ratchet gear and the mating gear. Make sure they are not rounded off. The little spring that pushes the gears together is probably the culpert. Either broken or weak and not pushing against the gear enough to properly engage them.

Just my $ .02

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
Here are some pics. Do you think that the teeth are worn? The springs seems a little worn, but not a lot. What do you think? The kicker slipped, unless you moved it down slowly it would catch.
Any suggestions?
I appreciate the response.

Attachments

• ratchet2.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,296
  • ratchet1.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,574

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I don't think they look overly worn. I'd try replacing the spring. Also, put a very thin washer between the spring and the gear to increase it's strength. Make sure the washer isn't too thick so the case doesn't sit correctly.

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
I"ll try that but the spring still feels pretty strong. Any other suggestions?

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
I'm no expert but they look worn to me. What year is the bike? 89? I would replace both parts: 13078 and 59051A.

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
My CR does the exact same thing, I have the whole bottom end apart now, and the gears look like yours, they look like they are in really good shape to me, no need for replacing, I might replace the spring, I am not sure yet, but when you kick that effin CR over ur hardest and it slips sure hurts the shin when you hit it off the footpeg when you thought you could do it with work boots. lol

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
I would bet money on the spring being to weak. I just replaced mine about a week ago because it was slipping also. The ratchet gears look fine in the pics.

maddmack

Dec 7, 2004
cheap fix

I have a 87 500 and the same thing happened to me alls I did is took a grinder and tapered the teeth to get the teeth to grab and its been good for about 2 years .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…