dj-t

Aug 19, 2008
I purchased a 01 kx 125 after riding my friends yz 125 for a couple of weeks before this I had no riding experience at all. So I road my kx for roughly about 4 hours. I dropped it while exiting out of a burn or berm what ever it is called ( a little too much on the throttle, still learning). Picked it up quickly road it again everything was fine until I let my buddy ride it.

He took off on a straight and when he shift from second to third a cloud of white smoke came out of the exhaust. Now when you rev it it sound like it is miss firing or something. How the bike sounds when it idles it sounds like that through the revs. I replaced the spark plug but still the same.

Do you think it was damage when he rode it?
Did I jarred something out of place when I dropped it?
Is it just time to change the top end?

Also trying to find a service manual for the bike the dealer wants like 90 bucks for a factory one but clymer has one but it only covers the 93-00 kx 125 model are they the same also for the 2001 models?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
White smoke is an indication of water (anti freeze) getting into the cylinder. Does the smoke smell like maple syrup? That would be antifreeze burning. You may have a blown head gasket or maybe a warped cylinder head.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Your buddy blew the head gasket!!!! I do not know where you live? What happened to you break you bought it? Was he holding it wide opened and shifting without letting off? Any issues with dirt terminology, check out motospeak at the top of the browser.

dj-t

Aug 19, 2008
There is white smoke coming out of it and it does smells like burnt rubber out of the exhaust.
If it is the gaskets I should just change out the rings too but, is it really necessary to change the piston every time.Thanks.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You can pull off the head and replace the gasket without changing the piston or rings but usually when I'm into the motor I tear the whole top end down and check everything. Once you get a manual you can check to see if the piston or rings are out of spec and replace as needed. Replacing on a time schedule can get expensive if the parts aren't really worn out so measure them to know for sure. Again, if I have it apart I replace everything anyway but if you're on a budget reuse them if they are in spec.

Top Bottom