firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have an idea. :eek: Run, while you still can! :confused:

Seriously, I have been talking to quite a few female friends of mine who don't ride, have never been around it, and are fascinated by it. One of Steve's racing buddy's girlfriend, Misty, wants to try it after sitting in the pits waiting much too long. Another gal I graduated with, who is 5' tall, wants to try too. I started chatting with a waitress at a restaurant recently after she overheard part of our conversation and asked me about it; she said she really wanted to try.

The other thing these gals all said was they didn't want to learn from their boyfriends for various reasons, including the fact that he's impatient, or he's already scared them before, or they don't want him to yell, or they just plain aren't comfortable with it.

So I was thinking: how cool would a women's dirt weekend be? A weekend camping trip with riders of all ages and abilities invited, as well as those who would like to try it. Anyone who wouldn't mind letting someone else try out their bike could take gals out to a grassy field or some other safe spot and show them the basics, then take them down a forest road. Use of bike would be completely voluntary. I would let anyone who wanted to try mine; women are less likely than men to hop on someone else's machine and go WFO. The seat height and power might intimidate some though. I would have been by it right when I first started.

So what do you all think? If you were in my area would you participate? For a lot of women, there is just too much pressure involved in learning from or riding with a boyfriend. They say in any sport don't learn from your significant other if you want to remain significant. Some men are better at teaching than others. My first teacher was mean and yelled. Personally, I don't mind riding with either men or women, although the camaderie I find with women makes it a little more fun. And I have to admit that although he's as kind and patient as I could wish, when I ride with Steve I just feel a tad guilty that he's babysitting me instead of riding with his friends. And he's the LAST person I want to see me on the ground and cussing!

So far it's just an idea. I have a full set of riding gear including last year's un-crashed helmet and gloves I would let someone wear. I can't think of any areas around here that would provide trails of different levels with a relatively secluded field for teaching basics. I'm sure there are I just don't know them.

I also don't know how I would run the organization. A fee would have to be charged; it's just too expensive for advertising and other costs not to. But how much? How extensive of advertising? How many would be too large a group? I don't know what the response would be so I can't even guess the costs.

What do y'all think?

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Firecracker,

I think it's a great idea. My XR would be a good choice for people wanting to give it a try. The problem is what it's always been, I live way to far to really take part in this. I'd definately be willing to let someone take a spin in my bike. Maybe a women's riding day at the next Southern Spodefest. Just a thought!

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
If it was somewhere nearby here where I live then I would be all for it. Like within 300 miles. I have an extra helmet, some extra gloves, and maybe an extra pants/jersey, I would let someone ride my rm 125 and be more than willing to teach someone how to ride. I wish someone could have taught me how to ride because I had to learn all by myself. Maybe we could rent out a place or just plan to meet at a track or trails that are open for the weekend and camp out for a few days. Guess this would mean I would have to brush up on my trails skills. ;)

SL99

Jun 18, 2000
I think that's a great idea. It feasable for me to travel all that way to help out but I can offer my moral support. It would have really helped me out in the beginning to have something like that to participate in. It would have been espcecially helpful in finding the right bike. My boyfreind always explained things over my head so I quite listening to him after a while and just asked him specific questions. I also really watched how people ride and followed them and learned a lot like that.

I'm sure you could get some support from various womens organizations but I couldnt tell you where to look.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
This is the main reason I am keeping and revamping my RM125. I run into the same thing. There are already a few women at work that want to try riding. I just need to get off my duff and finish getting the bike back together! :scream: Once it is done, I am going to be in full search and recruit mode. :) My plan was to send out an e-mail to all the women in my company and also to post a notice on the bulletin board in the hallway since we are located in a building with several other companies. I have several sets of gear, gloves and goggles as well as a spare chest protector and helmet. I would have no problem letting someone ride either my RM125 or my KTM200.
I think most women (not all) have a more nurturing tendency when it comes to teaching others something new. My ex-boyfriend and I fought every single time we rode together! That is not the case with my new boyfriend, but like you, I can’t help but feel guilty sometimes that he gets stuck riding with me. I feel much better when he’s off riding with other guys knowing he’s riding more to his potential and most likely being challenged. I miss not having other women to ride with. I don’t know any women in my area that ride trails. This is socal, so the “cool” thing to do is ride motocross.
If I was in your area, yes I would participate. Have you thought about putting flyers up in the local motorcycle shops? If you can, posting some in sports stores might be a good place to recruit women who would be interested. I’ll let you know if I think of anything else. Good idea, and good luck making it happen. :)

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Fc22, great idea. Leave to you woman to think of great ways to introduce new riders to the sport. I say go for it.

I can’t help but feel guilty sometimes that he gets stuck riding with me
FC22/Gospeed,I doubt your bf's feel that way. I wish I could ride with mine. Fiance that is.
BTW I intrduced my fiance to my cr 250 the other night with me riding on the back. I think she liked it. maybe I can talk her into a cr 80 that we. . er i mean she can ride

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by bwalker
FC22/Gospeed,I doubt your bf's feel that way.

Ben, I don't think he feels that way, at least he doesn't say so, in fact he always says quite the opposite. I know he feels lucky to be with someone that enjoys riding so I don't really know why I feel bad. I guess it's kind of like walking my dog on a leash. Even though I know she enjoys the walk I just know that sometimes she would prefer to be let off the leash to run free! :)

Looks like you're making some progress with your fiance. Good news.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
GSR, I wish I could have kept the old XR for the same reason. But I needed the money to bring home the KTM. Oh well. Maybe I can borrow some bikes or convince people I know with two bikes. I need to contact a friend who has a couple and is also a DM instructor—she’s the one I took a class from and also I’ve been trail riding with her. She’s amazingly good—better than most men I know.

Walking your dog—great analogy! On my last trail ride with Steve, I was having the absolutely worst day of my life ever, and he never once got impatient or angry or irritated. He kept telling me that he was there with me that day, and that he was there to help me, and not to worry about him, and that he wasn’t bored at all. It’s probably true. But I still feel that way. I can’t help it. The other thing is that Steve is the last person I want to see me looking bad! I would rather almost anyone else, except maybe an ex boyfriend or something, see me on the ground or riding like a squid. I just don’t want him to think badly of me. Bwalker, it’s not that we think you don’t like us, it’s an entirely female mental thing.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Looks like you're making some progress with your fiance. Good news.
Slowly but surely. I wont push her one way or the other. She did say something about maybe borowing a buds quad for the weekend. I dont really care for quads but if thats what it takes to get her out on the trails, so be it.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey, I can start the CR! Dunno if I can hang on though. Do you think a bike shop really would loan bikes? I’ll definitely ask but I’m not sure they’d be willing to take a risk like that. We’ll see. Anyone can ride the KTM, I already took off all the breakables (lights, kickstand) and my new plastic (again) isn’t in yet. I am vain enough to be willing to spend money on plastic. I need a new front fender and rear—on the front, those little posts the numberplate fits over broke off (I don’t know when or how, probably when I went over that cliff at Mad River) and the rear fender tore out of the fender mounts when I bent the subframe. The second time. Oh well. I have a new orange front, but I think I’ll go with the silver theme I have now—looks pretty good.

Anyway, I think I might get going on this. I bet the BBR guys’ wives would go for it too—I think they all used to ride. We could do some kind of potluck dinner, and I could talk Steve into letting me borrow the motorhome . . . if I can turn the darn thing around! Nothing like running water and a cushy bed though.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by bbbom
How about contacting local bike shops for some loaners and support? If the participants get into the sport they will be new customers for the shops.
That's a great idea. I know one of the local shops around here has (well, had) a ton of abandoned bikes out back. They might have been willing to loan out a few for the possibility of aquiring new customers.

Originally posted by bbbom
I'm willing to loan the CR500!! :p But, you have to start it to ride it!!
Just pack an AJ with you. Everyone should have a spare AJ! ;)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
GSR I keep my spares in the barn where they belong! :p Kinda like shoes ya know! Just kidding, that was when I was younger, much younger!:think

I don't know IF any shops would loan bikes out but it would sure make some advertising sense to me. Could be liability issues involved but it would be worth tossing the idea out to them.

I'll see what some of the shop owner's I know think about it.

Yes Firecracker, you did great starting the CR, next step it to HHHooolllddd ooonnn!!! :) Actually, you'd be quite surprised how easy it is to ride. Picking it up is another story but that just gives you more motivation to ride it out. Now if I get that to work FOR me, I'll let you know how it goes! :confused:

Last edited:

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
count me in too...

my only concern would be the liability issues...but I guess we could figure that out!
I'm close enough that I'd come up for a weekend, no problem..
I'm happy to help organize it as well, so let me know what needs to be done to get it rolling!

Top Bottom