1999RM125

Mod Ban
Apr 1, 2002
what do you do with all your old top ends after rebuilds? it seems a waste to let them sit like trophies on the mantle, who knows mabye im dumb but a piston is a beautiful thing!, so mabe you throw em out, mabye you do something special with em, id like to get some ideas on what to do with em

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
They're aluminum - Recycle 'em along with your beer cans & get a little money. Unless of course there's a sentimental attachment. :confused:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
They're aluminum - Recycle 'em along with your beer cans & get a little money.

yep!!!!! I have a 30 gallon drum in the garage filled with pistons ,old levers beer cans and other assorted scrap pieces of aluminum I have collected over time. hmmmm about 40lbs times 35 cents a lb. should have enough to pay for the gas to get to the scrap yard , buy a 12 pack and start the process over again.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I just keep em for the hell of it cause they just look to damn cool! (well after I polish them to a mirror finish!) It is just cool to just look at em' and compare them to the piston you are just about to take out of the bike. I am in the progress in making a old KX80 piston into a shift knob on my F-150 truck cause it'll look badass! LOL

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Don't forget the rings! They are about the size of some of the g/f's earings!

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
You can get your baby's shoes coated in brass as a momento here, always thought it would be cool to have a piston done like this.

Anybody ever try polishing them, how'd you do it if so???

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
I polished mine as well...how i did it.

1.Used solvent to get off what ever carbon i could
2.Got a very high grade sandpaper (like 600 grit) removed left over carbon and reduce the appearnce of scuff marks (if any)
3.Used a SOFT wire wheel and cleaned it to a shine
4.Then used some MOTHERS aluminum and mag polish to polish it up
5.Sprayed it with clear coat as a finish

What i did with mine when i finished all this...hung it from my rear view mirror in my truck! :D

1999RM125

Mod Ban
Apr 1, 2002
lol i have very high polish sandpaper, 1500grit and 800grit, so yeah i may take a stab at it tongiht while i wait to see if my money went into my account at midnight

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
$$$$ Hey 99 wasnt it you that had the terrible luck with your trans? How did you make out ? If that wasnt you then disregard . Iam not so sure I want to trust the bank anymore so I bury cash in my backyard like on National Lampoons Vacation with Chevy Chase,

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Who was it that was making a coffee table out of a bunch of pistons? They had like truck pistons, bike pistons, tractor pistons, and I think a locomotive piston...no two were of the same bore

1999RM125

Mod Ban
Apr 1, 2002
yeah me hd the tranny problem , tey are stil waiting on ONE part, the shift drum, its gonna cost me about 1350, thats with a discount, without it would of been about 2300$, but im kucky to have a buddy whos dad has a canondale ive been riding. So i leave for 2 weeks soon and wont have my bike back till afte,r nd it better be back, or im going beserk , i havent riden it at all this summer

1999RM125

Mod Ban
Apr 1, 2002
im pretty sure ight now 1$ canadian is like .63ish american, around 819$ american. Its been about 7 weeks now.... very very frustrating. and i just got new ridint gear and stickers and whatnot, and right now im debating on wheter or not to buy a radar gun, 150$ canadian from www.royaldistributing.com it has an accuracy of +/- 1mph so its not amazingly accurat but it will do

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
1999RM125
Try checking your spelling. You are so giving me a headache......!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Why do you want a radar gun? Please don't start another "Top Speed" Thread......Please!

1999RM125

Mod Ban
Apr 1, 2002
id buy it mainly for snowmobiling purposes :-) but thats not to say i wouldent give it a shot with my bike :-) no i dont give a damn about top speed, the only time you get going top speed is on a road, which is illegal.

One another note, anyone ever think of modifing their old pistons on door handles??? i think that wold be sweet, im gonna try it now

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom