What do you think of my KX fork conversion?

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
KXCargasketandgearoil028.jpg

KXCargasketandgearoil008.jpg

KXCargasketandgearoil010.jpg

KXCargasketandgearoil002.jpg

KXCargasketandgearoil009.jpg

Last edited:

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
Look sweet! It's a great project if you can deal with the cost factor. $182 for 2002 KX forks is a steal BTW, assuming they are in good shape.

kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
Good stuff! What tires/size are you running? That fork looks awesome on the KDX. I just bought my first one (05' 220) and started with the engine first, but the ergos and handling are on deck.

AinChains

Oct 3, 2005
I have an 05 220 and I am curious to what the total cost of the conversion is? I am debating doing the conversion or just getting a KX 250.

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
KX Fork swap cost

I paid about $700 for my 2002 KX125 front end -- $500 for mint condition forks and $200 for a front wheel/axle, also mint. There are KX forks listed on that certain auction site all the time. If you hit the timing right, you can probably pay less than I did. There was another mint set of 2002 KX forks that also went for $500 at the time I bought mine. I think generally it's going to be cheaper to just add the KX forks, but it depends on the age of your bike and whether you want a new bike. I bought a 2002 KDX for my wife and it's turned into a project bike (see pics on my KX fork swap post below). Since she's never ridden before, there was hardly a good reason to spend the money on the KX forks, but I just wanted a winter project.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I've never seen the short kickstarter on a bike. Looks....almost too small....Congrats on the forks, looks absolutely awesome!

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
The KX forks are about an inch longer than stock. Thus to level out the bike I installed new Dunlop 942 tires which increased the height of the rear of the bike 0.4 inches (120/90 18, std for the front) and slid the forks 0.5 inches above the triple clamp. This bike handles unbelievable now. IMO this is the best suspension modification you can do to your bike. Riding whoops and everything else is so much easier and fun.

Last edited:

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
apb said:
Wow, that came out really nice. Does your RMX look as clean as your KDX?:cool:
RMXandvacation032.jpg

RMXandvacation048.jpg

RMXandvacation034.jpg

RMXandvacation037.jpg

When I bought this bike ($1,000) it was 100% stock. It even had the original tires on it, not even half warn. Stripped the bike down to the frame, cleaned, painted, polished, replace all the fluids including suspension fluid, added aftermarket performance stuff, decals, tires, replace original piston, raise the port timing, increased the compression and added 39 PWK carb. Its definitely bigger than the KDX and about 15 pounds heavier. It is definitely not as agile as the KDX and feels heavier. However, it is powerful and feels stable at speed. I bought it for the desert. I still need to get the suspension tuned in better. Have to run race gas to prevent the pinging. Thus I may reduce the compression of the engine. Anyway this was my other project.

Last edited:

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Wow how often do you ride that thing?? The paint isnt even really worn off the frame above the foot pegs. That has been one of the first signs of ware on all of my past painted frame bikes. That thing is in great shape. That has got to be new plastic on there right?

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Ok now you have me really wigging out with the pictures of the RMX. So either these were winter projects that you just finished up or these are mantel bikes. They look great.

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
...if you ever need a job valeting cars give me a call!

I have my own car sales and I'm not too happy with the quality of my valeters (detailers?) work...if things ever get real tight over there I can always find you a bucket and brush...... ;)

.....the KDX, RMX and the ER clean garage, there goes my weekend riding, I think I'm on bike and garage cleaning detail instead! :nod:

two peachy looking bikes :cool:

Richard

apb

Feb 1, 2005
Impressive. Looks like the RMX just rolled off the showroom floor. Are you afraid to ride it hard now?;)

I'm surprised you're having detonation problems after going to the thinner head gasket. My RMX does fine on pump gas with the '89 RM gasket on there.. Probably caused by the timing change you made, I would think? Or a combo of the two together.. I haven't changed the timing on mine. Nice to see such a clean RMX -- it'd take some effort to get mine looking that good.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A BTW....some have found the OEM brakeline to be too soft on the long run of the OEM KX fork. A change to either a steel long-line, or a CR-style routing (high) will cure that problem.

...if it is a problem.

Good to hear your success. The KX fork is purty darn good, 'eh? Well...compared to I mean.

Good, too, that you took into account the length of the KX forks. I've seen some 'upgraded' KDXs that are going 'uphill' all the time with KX forks. ...not a good thing.

You need more vent tubes on your carby! Four would be good!! ;)

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
JST122 said:
Wow how often do you ride that thing?? The paint isnt even really worn off the frame above the foot pegs. That has been one of the first signs of ware on all of my past painted frame bikes. That thing is in great shape. That has got to be new plastic on there right?
The pics are after I restored the bike and before I rode it. This is why it looks like it came off the show room floor. That was my goal, since CA you can't get a new 2 stroke with a green sticker. All the plastic is origianal. I used Renew on the fenders and polished it and the tank with SafeCut. Works really good.

Last edited:

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
JST122 said:
Ok now you have me really wigging out with the pictures of the RMX. So either these were winter projects that you just finished up or these are mantel bikes. They look great.
Winter projects

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
COMBEN said:
I have my own car sales and I'm not too happy with the quality of my valeters (detailers?) work...if things ever get real tight over there I can always find you a bucket and brush...... ;)

.....the KDX, RMX and the ER clean garage, there goes my weekend riding, I think I'm on bike and garage cleaning detail instead! :nod:

two peachy looking bikes :cool:

Richard
Since SAVEAUX things I am moneybags I will not be needing the work :)

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
I have my KX forks all the way up in the top clamp (about 1"). Also, I have my brake line routed high like on my KTMs. My pics are below in another KX fork swap thread.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
apb said:
Impressive. Looks like the RMX just rolled off the showroom floor. Are you afraid to ride it hard now?;)

I'm surprised you're having detonation problems after going to the thinner head gasket. My RMX does fine on pump gas with the '89 RM gasket on there.. Probably caused by the timing change you made, I would think? Or a combo of the two together.. I haven't changed the timing on mine. Nice to see such a clean RMX -- it'd take some effort to get mine looking that good.

I used the Cometic gaskets Eric Gorr recommends in his book, which is a thicker cylinder gasket and thinner head gasket to advance the port timing and increase compression. It may be that I was running lean even though I richened the the setting with the main and needle over stock. However, I did not take into account the difference between a 39mm PWK with a #6 throttle slide and the OEM 38mm PJ with a #5 throttle slide. Thus, I have richened it up some more to see what that does. My KDX just bogs when it runs lean. But with a high compression engine I understand that it can ping instead.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
Green Hornet said:
Looks Great. I have everything, Its just a matter of putting together now.
More than likely you will need to make a stop to prevent your forks from hitting your gas tank. I used a strip of metal attached to the frame stop.

Top Bottom