what effect will a spacer under the fork spring have?

Mar 25, 2008
I have a 2001 Honda CR 250 R and I recently dissasembled my forks, While doing so I noticed a spacer under the main spring. This spacer looks like a large washer about 1/8" thick. I thought about removing it because it didnt look stock but I left it in place for fear of making something worse. I didnt see this spacer in the service manual diagrams either. Does anyone know if this spacer will really have much effect in or out? My suspension is beating me to death and Im looking to do something to better it. I weigh about 160 lbs and ride woods with a novice ability In fact I race FTR Harescrambles so hello to all fellow FTR Members. anyones help about this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart.

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
the spacer will not make a huge difference, if it's not mechanically needed remove it.
I changed the valving of my CR250 '01 like this:
www dot supercross-online dot de/Z/fork-cr.htm

it's in german but a look at the picture should explain what I changed. left is stock, right modified

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I would definitely remove it. From what you say, the last thing you want is more spring preload. When they come with them, they are cupped so the spring keeps it from moving. With the rear sag set, and the forks are still beating you up. You could try less, or a lighter grade of oil. Any valving you purchase is going to be mx, aggressive. You may contact MX Tech and ask about trail valving. If you can not set the rear shock sag specs, you may need springs.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
First we need to know what rate the spring is and also the rate of the spring .Also what is the riders weight. The spacer is a preload spacer. Might have been used to add some preload as the spring may be old and is starting to sack out . A good spring length is 495mm , this would require no preload washers .

Mar 25, 2008
I am 6ft 155-160 Lbs ride 80 % woods 20% Mx and am Novice ability And next time I have the spring out of the fork leg how do I determine the rate of the spring without speciallized equip? Is measuring the length of the spring with a tape measure accurate enough?

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
To measure the spring rate you have to put a weight on the spring and measure how far it is compressed by the weight. sounds easy but depends on your mechanical skills...
first you have to have a weight of aprox. 20kg (44.1lbs), thats what I use. then you need a spring guide, if you don't have a tube that fits you can use your fork leg. you need that guide because when you lay a weight on the spring of course it bends.
if you are able to do this you have to devide the weight by the travel, for example 20kg/45mm = 0.44kg/mm spring rate.
you can visit a suspension website, racetech eg, to know what spring rate you need for your weight and riding style

Last edited:
Top Bottom