76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Chest protectors are a must when rocks and trees are around. Knee pads are nice. I don't personally wear elbow pads, though my last two crashes left me wishing I had some kind of forearm protection. The pants are pretty important, they don't tear as readily as jeans and they are cut for better mobility, especially when tucked into boots.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
A t-shirt and flip-flops is my normal giddyup.

Haha no but really, I wear helmet, goggles, jersey, pants, kneepads, chest protector, gloves, and boots.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I wear all the above, and usually a kidney belt, too. The only time I forgo the kidney belt is if I'm just riding really easy with my daughter.

One of the other important things is a Camelback. I have the Fox one and always keep a few basic tools and a spark plug in it just in case.

Kool aid

Jun 11, 2007
What does the kidney belt do? Thanks for all the replies I wasnt really expecting so much help. I will look out for all those things.. Hey Matt 193, I see you are in Maryland so am I, where do you ride?

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
Kool aid said:
What does the kidney belt do? Thanks for all the replies I wasnt really expecting so much help. I will look out for all those things.. Hey Matt 193, I see you are in Maryland so am I, where do you ride?

I ride up in Pa at Tower City it is right near Paragon and Rausch Creek. I am a harescrambles guy so I ride the mountain trails. How about you?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
A chest protector protects from your shoulders to the bottom of your rib cage. A kidney belt does the bottom of the rib cage to the waste. A very useful piece of equipment for those times where you don't quite get launched over the handle bars and land sideways on them or for high speed crashes where you might pick up a few rocks and bumps on your side as you slide. Getting hit in the side or the kidneys is very painful and leaves nasty bruises but doesn't usually end your day.

Kool aid

Jun 11, 2007
I have a few miles of trails right behind my house.. good enough most of the time. I went up to Green ridge park, kinda long trip for me but a nice ride. There arent that many trails by me, im near annapolis..

Thanks gmc it all is starting to make sense to me.. are dirtbikes much more dangerous than quads? I see people all the time riding quads with a t shirt and shorts.. whats up?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Kool aid said:
. . . are dirtbikes much more dangerous than quads? I see people all the time riding quads with a t shirt and shorts.. whats up?
those people have a false sense of security, and they are stupid.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Dirt bikes are much less dangerous than quads. Ever notice that quads over 90cc all say for riders 16 and up? Dirt bikes don't have the same warnings. XR is right on the money about the false sense of security. Also, when you do crash, quads land on top of/run over their riders with much greater frequency than bikes. It doesn't help that they weigh twice as much, either. Quad riders tend to be somewhat dumber, too which really doesn't help.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
You should definitely have all of the basic gear if you're riding trails: jersey, riding pants, boots, gloves, helmet, goggles, chest protector, and camelback. I don't use a kidney belt, but there are times I've wished that I had one.

When you're out on the trails there are so many dangerous things: roots, rocks, trees, etc...it's always better to be over cautious. You're never going to avoid all injuries, but at least you tried. Having this gear makes it that much more likely that you'll walk away from a crash.

The most important items (in my opinion)(aside from helmet and goggles) are boots and the chest protector. All it takes is one time of being flung into the handlebars and not suffering a broken rib or two or three to appreciate the full power of the chest protector.

Kool aid

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks for the tips homies.. This is all new to me I always was told that dirtbikes were dangerous and quads are safer.. I guess this is just because of 4 wheels not having to balance. I asked this in the "what bike do i get" section already and 2 people replied.. need some more opinion. What bike would be a good trail rider for me, I am 120 lbs 5ft 6'', no experience really.. Thanks.

Top Bottom